10.5 oddities

Hi Jules,

I also have one user having this problem on 10.5 …!

Hoping you can help…! :slight_smile:

With best wishes,

Pete

I hope so too, but I’m a bit stumped about where to begin on this one!

:slight_smile:

My user is having problems under 10.5.3, FWIW…

Here is the full spec, FWIW…

Mac intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.3 (9D34)
Darwin 9.3.0
ATI Radeon HD2600

Pete

I don’t suppose anybody else has spotted this problem and found a solution…? :slight_smile:

Pete

Well I can’t say I have a definitive solution, here is what I have found so far.

It seems that most of our customers (among those that pursue the conversation with us) have an Apple Cinema HD 23"

One of our customer has been able to solve this problem that way, following a suggestion I made :

• Go to the “System Preferences”
  • Select “Displays”
  • Choose the “Color” Tab
  • Uncheck the “Show profile for this display only”
  • Select the “sRGB IEC61966-2.1” profile
    Problem solved.

To add to the confusion, he restored the previous setting (BTW this was “Cinema HD”), but the application was still working after that.

Hope this could help, or ring a bell to Jules ?

Wow, that is really weird/interesting… I hope it helps Jules. :slight_smile:

Pete

Hi rbocquier,

I thought I should say thank you :slight_smile: as the solution you suggested worked for our customer.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to post that information!

Jules, I hope that gives you some clues as to what might be going on…!

With best wishes,

Pete

Sorry, that gives me no clues at all! Bewildering!..

Ain’t it just! :slight_smile:

A user of my application reported the invalid colorspace problem recently. He’s using 10.5.4 now (10.5.3 before) and the same happens for the Juce demo.

EDIT: rbocquier’s solution worked in this case as well.

Hi!

Was the work-around the same as that outlined by rbocquier in a previous post in this thread…?

With best wishes,

Pete

Yes, it was, except that in this case the profile was set to “iMac”, since the customer has an iMac and no Cinema display.

I just had this problem as well with a user who has an Apple Cinema Display with a custom profile and 10.5.3.

Its seems CMGetSystemProfile is failing under Leopard in some circumstances.

I’m waiting to hear back but I modified mac_Windowing class MacBitmapImage to…

CMProfileRef prof;
        if (CMGetSystemProfile (&prof) == noErr)
			colourspace = CGColorSpaceCreateWithPlatformColorSpace (prof);
		else
			colourspace = CGColorSpaceCreateDeviceRGB();
        provider = CGDataProviderCreateWithData (0, imageData, h * lineStride, 0);
        CMCloseProfile (prof);

I’ll post back if it fixes the problem or has any adverse side affects…

Just wanted to chime in that we were seeing the exact same problem here on a G5 running Leopard (same machine worked fine under Tiger). This machine was using a Viewsonic LCD monitor. After switching the display profile to something else and back again to what it was before, the problem is gone. It’s like the OS has some stale data related to this cached somewhere, and changing the display profile (to anything) clears out the stale data.

Of course, now we can’t reproduce the problem to see if justin’s fix would help:

[quote=“justin”]I just had this problem as well with a user who has an Apple Cinema Display with a custom profile and 10.5.3.

Its seems CMGetSystemProfile is failing under Leopard in some circumstances.

I’m waiting to hear back but I modified mac_Windowing class MacBitmapImage to…

CMProfileRef prof;
        if (CMGetSystemProfile (&prof) == noErr)
			colourspace = CGColorSpaceCreateWithPlatformColorSpace (prof);
		else
			colourspace = CGColorSpaceCreateDeviceRGB();
        provider = CGDataProviderCreateWithData (0, imageData, h * lineStride, 0);
        CMCloseProfile (prof);

I’ll post back if it fixes the problem or has any adverse side affects…[/quote]

I’d definitely be interested to hear the followup on this.

You mean there is JUCE code that makes OS calls and doesn’t check the result code?? :slight_smile:

We’ve just seen a similar problem on a project of ours. The set and reset profile work round worked here too.

[quote=“jules”]There’s a line in the code where I commented-out the use of an RGB colourspace because it was too slow. You could get them to try a version with that re-instated?

And ask them to try some other juce apps, like the demo.[/quote]

We commented out the new code and uncommented the old code, built the app with the old code and gave it to the customer with the issue. The problem for now seems to have been solved for this customer and he is able to see the UI. I think this could be the piece of code which is causing the issue.

Hmm. Ok, well not sure what the best policy is then. I wonder if the slowness issue is fixed in 10.5? If so I could probably safely enable that colourspace option now.

I’ll use the following code, let me know if this looks ok:

CMProfileRef prof; if (CMGetSystemProfile (&prof) == noErr) { colourspace = CGColorSpaceCreateWithPlatformColorSpace (prof); CMCloseProfile(prof); } else { colourspace = CGColorSpaceCreateDeviceRGB(); }

Looks ok, though I’m about to start rewriting it all in cocoa anyway, so not much point me merging that into the tree.

Just thought i’d add that since making the change I listed earlier this issue hasn’t reared its head again.

There is a slight difference in Shark profiling when using CGColorSpaceCreateWithPlatformColorSpace vs CGColorSpaceCreateDeviceRGB

(CGColorSpaceCreateDeviceRGB is faster for me - 10.4 Intel)