Android studio - errors and errors

Hi Aros,

Sorry I didn't get back to you in a while. The rest of the JUCE team is either at NAMM (in LA) or otherwise away and I have to manage a huge pile of tasks here on my own.

I would not recommend putting the JUCE modules folder on another drive if you're on Windows. The Android Studio project exporter creates a tree of symbolic links into the module folders (that's the only way to teach Android Studio to consider files outside of the app source folder...). If those go to another drive, something there gets confused... I could attempt to fix this, but to be honest that's a bit of an edge case, and also we'll be probably overhauling the whole Android Studio export at some point and/or hope they soon fix the way Android Studio includes files in the first place. The whole symbolic link thing is just an ugly workaround until we come up with something better...

Can you confirm that your projects work correctly without copying the JUCE modules, as long as your JUCE folder is on the same drive?

Really, to be perfectly honest with you, if you want to do any sort of professional development using Android Studio, don't use Windows. We'll do our best to support it on Windows but please understand that we probably won't be fixing every possible edge case...

Thanks for replying anyway.

I confirm it works without copying the modules IF the modules and the project are on the same drive (to be more specific what I really confirm is that it works if both of them are on the C drive, I imagine that it may actually matter, and I have not tried to move both to another drive, but if you need me to, I will try that as well).

that's the only way to teach Android Studio to consider files outside of the app source folder...

This applies to all the platforms I presume... It's just that some platforms are better with symbolic links, right? What a terrible way to do it. It somehow seems to me that AS is just a bad tool on all the platforms. Only on some platforms, it is even worse. Let's hope they'll make it better then.

And yes, I understand that you are not going to fix all the problems AS has on Windows, especially if I am one of - say - 2 people using AS with JUCE on Windows. I don't need it to work flawlesly, I just need to build "somehow". I have already had to make some workarounds...

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it...

Let's hope they'll make it better then.

This is exactly what I am hoping for as well. If a genie would appear right now and offer me three wishes, that'd probably be one of them :-)

That being said, there's a lot of active development going into AS at Google right now, and they have some very good people, so I'd say there is definitely hope.