Any news?

Any news on when(/if?) the linux port will be ready?

I’ve recently installed Agnula’s DeMuDi version of debian, and I’m liking it a lot (particularly the Anjuta IDE - though still a little buggy, it definitely suits my way of working :slight_smile: ). The only thing is wxWidgets (gtk) looks horrible on linux, and I’ve developed a strange (and completely irrational, since I haven’t actually used it) dislike for Qt.

• Niall.

[quote=“NiallM”] and I’ve developed a strange (and completely irrational, since I haven’t actually used it) dislike for Qt.
[/quote]

Qt is OK.

It is generally pretty fast, and cleanly implemented.

Of course nowadays most of my exposure to Qt comes through Borland’s CLX wrapper, so I get to pick and choose when I have to actually deal with Qt, and I’m sure that does a lot to keep my impressions favourable. :wink:

I’ve not had time to get it going - it’s mostly written, but I need to get a new linux installation to finish it off, which is tricky on my pc without messing everything up, and I’ve been too busy lately…

[quote=“valley”]Qt is OK.

It is generally pretty fast, and cleanly implemented.

Of course nowadays most of my exposure to Qt comes through Borland’s CLX wrapper, so I get to pick and choose when I have to actually deal with Qt, and I’m sure that does a lot to keep my impressions favourable. :wink:[/quote]
Yeah, I think it’s just because I associate qt with kde, and I just don’t like the standard kde look - it seems too garish(?) and shiny for my taste. I much prefer gnome, with the simple window border. Like I said, my dislike of qt isn’t entirely rational (I do know you can change kde’s look, and that qt isn’t tied to kde :wink:).

Ok, thanks for the info :). Any chance it’ll support jack on the audio side? (this is something I miss with portaudio)

• Niall.

[quote=“NiallM”]Yeah, I think it’s just because I associate qt with kde, and I just don’t like the standard kde look - it seems too garish(?) and shiny for my taste. I much prefer gnome, with the simple window border. Like I said, my dislike of qt isn’t entirely rational (I do know you can change kde’s look, and that qt isn’t tied to kde :wink:).
[/quote]

Oh, the ‘shiny’ is definitely KDE.

Qt itself comes with (IIRC) four native ‘styles’. Windows, Platinum, SGI, and RiscOS. Trust me, garish and shiny is not the first thought that comes to mind; dull and clunky is nearer the mark. :wink: