Are you musical?

I know that everyone here loves programming. But what about music?
Do you also like making music (composing, playing an instrument, dj:ing,…)?

Me for example, I play the piano and sing in a quire.

• Just curious -
    :slight_smile:

My love to music was the reason that I started programming with Juce.

I really want to go back to making music but I just can’t find the time, I’m a little worried that I’m getting old (32) and maybe this composing talent is decreasing with age (no public data to back it up) :slight_smile:

Basically what Shlomi said applies also to me, but I still play music with my band and compose classical/electronic music.

I did a computer music masters and that’s how I learned about Juce. I’ve been using it ever since and have been making electronic music for around 8-9 years on and off.

It is hard to find time to do audio programming projects and make music though!

Classically trained as child in Violin and ( not so good - Piano )

Studied to be a session guitarist at Musicians Institute in Hollywood ( or that other horrible acronym - G.I.T. ) but
fell headlong deep in love with jazz guitar…

Now getting really into using Ableton Live for live performance and composition, for both live jazz and electronica.

( am currently getting ready to record some jazz gtr demos to put up there but none at the mo, just MIDI/loop stuff )

[quote=“nonchai”]https://soundcloud.com/danstenning[/quote] Good stuff ! :slight_smile:

I play the piano and the guitar. Mostly self taught, although I did a couple of years of classical training. Casually composing using Ableton Live too, until our Juce-based DAW is finally production ready :wink:

[quote=“dinaiz”][quote=“nonchai”]https://soundcloud.com/danstenning[/quote] Good stuff ! :slight_smile:

I play the piano and the guitar. Mostly self taught, although I did a couple of years of classical training. Casually composing using Ableton Live too, until our Juce-based DAW is finally production ready ;)[/quote]

thanks man. Much appreciated in these demoralising times…

Yep, I make electronic music too, in fact I only started programming this year. I got into it through SuperCollider, which I was exploring purely to make wacky sounds that I couldn’t do using existing plugins. Now I’ve been bitten by the bug, and I’m hoping to use Juce to take some of my SuperCollider experiments back into the DAW as bona-fide C++ based plugins.

I’ve always been a keen classical guitar player, but haven’t had time to do it so much recently… I enjoy bashing the drums too, although I’m pretty awful at it!

Yup, drummer, synthesizer tweaker and various audio engineering… (Is the studio an instrument?)

Here’s a few of mine:

Perhaps the videos are interesting to you all here too since it is real-time graphics driven by the music.

The drums are mostly played / recorded live with some editing, the synth playing is more heavily edited though :slight_smile:

But, like other commenters, because I spend a lot of my free time writing software for music I play less…

On soundcloud there’s a bit more… : http://soundcloud.com/onar3d

Its nice to see, what different musical background people here have :slight_smile:

I make ‘music’… :slight_smile: the only thing I’m half decent at is handpercussiom, although I have many intruments I make sounds with. Here is a smattering of old stuff, as I’ve been doing alot more jamming, than recording, of late.

http://www.musetrap.com/music

Here’s some of my music:

Funny thing is that some of you guys also miss the time to make music since you’ve started programming :wink:

Me and my band Malory in London…

I have to constantly remind myself to take the time to make some music with the software I write. It’s very easy to get caught up in the programming and forget about the actual music making!

Wow, it’s lovely to be accompanied by such a musical crowd… I’ve been trained in the Indian classical music over the Bamboo flute and self learnt some amount of acoustic guitar… I feel everyone should at least keep practicing over their instruments… I do that, as it gives me immense pleasure every time… I think that all of us can put up a great fusion song in the next JUCE demo :wink:

I have been playing guitar off & on for about 25 yrs or so.

I like mixing hip hop and dance:

[color=#FF0000]NOT SAFE FOR WORK!!![/color]

2008-09-06 Hip Hop, R&B, and Rap Mix I

2009-02-21 Hip Hop, R&B, and Rap Mix II

I also have a piano although I don’t get as much practice as I need in order to get anywhere (I play only classical music).