AU on XCode 10: ResMerger Error

Ok, I think it’s resolved for me. My build folder is usually /Volumes/Lolrus/dev.github/project and I access it from a symbolic link in my home directory. If I try and build in this folder it fails. I’ve moved my build folder to ~/dev and now it seems to build fine.

Just did a clean and rebuild to confirm everything is building. I could manually copy the .rsrc file and it would buld fine in Xcode, but not from xcodebuild.

So everything is working as expected following the copy to a path under your home directory?

That reminded me of something similar from a few years ago

Well, it solved my problem back then. To build anything with JUCE, including the examples or Projucer, I have to move them from my JUCE folder in the /Developer/ path to somewhere in my user path. If it’s anywhere near the JUCE folder in my /Developer/ path, Rez Error 3.

I’m having a similar issue using FRUT since I started using the OSX 10.15 SDK.

I can’t reproduce this issue with Projucer, so doesn’t seem to be exactly the same. But the latest SDK has some changes in AudioUnit.r that could be relevant.

Here are the full details incase this helps - https://github.com/McMartin/FRUT/issues/562

A quick update from us:
We noticed that all of a sudden, all errors disappeared on one machine (Catalina, Xcode 11.2.1). The only change we made was to set the AAX copy path to the user directory (so that we can build AAX without root permissions). This was done in the Projucer project file in one of our projects. It seems completely unrelated, but it is the only thing we changed. I tried to replicate this on another machine (Mojave, Xcode 11.2.1), but here the errFSBadFSRef error doesn’t vanish when changing the AAX copy path. Both times, I was running the build directly from the XCode GUI and from the command line with identical results.

Bottom line: Something on our first machine changed, and we don’t know what it is. This is really frustrating

Do you have other versions of Xcode installed on those computers?

What’s the output of

xcode-select --print-path

on those computers?

Perhaps it’s Xcode 11.2.1 on both machines, but under the hood they are using different tools?

I have Xcode 9.4.1 installed on the Mojave machine (it doesn’t run on Catalina) but xcode-select is set to the Xcode 11.2.1 toolset on both of them.

Ah… well, when I have unexplainable issues like that, I end up looking at the actual command line that is issued for the step that fails, it’s visible in the Build Log, and then compare it with the corresponding one on the machine where it succeeds.

I usually do so by pasting the command lines in separate files, one command line argument per line, then diffing them

I’m also having that problem using the latest XCode/latest develop branch.

Changing

#include <AudioUnit/AudioUnit.r>

to

#include <AudioUnit.r>

solves it for me.

Any chance this change could be implemented?

BTW - this shows up in CMake warnings when loading the CLion exported project too.

Since I’m still unable to reproduce this problem, could you please provide the whole error message you get when attempting to compile before you make that change?

I’m getting the same error. XCode 11.3, but I used CMake on CLion 2019.3.
Changing
#include <AudioUnit/AudioUnit.r>
to
#include <AudioUnit.r>
fixed it for me as well.

Error before:

/Applications/CLion.app/Contents/bin/cmake/mac/bin/cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -G "CodeBlocks - Unix Makefiles" /..../Project/Builds/CLion
failed to find AUComponent/AUComponent.r
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Headers/AudioUnit.r:18: ### Rez - noErr (0) during open of "AUComponent.r".
Fatal Error!
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Headers/AudioUnit.r:18: ### Rez - Fatal Error, can't recover.
AUComponent.r: ### Rez - Since errors occurred, /..../Project/Builds/CLion/cmake-build-debug/SquipJuceProject.rsrc's resource fork was not completely updated.
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /..../Project/Builds/CLion/cmake-build-debug

[Finished]

This was a fresh project.
Note: This happens on master as well as on develop

1 Like

Thanks for you help @t0m!

Here are my steps to recreate on another machine (MacOS 10.14.6, XCode 11.3):

1. Get JUCE from develop branch.
  2. Build Projucer.
  3. Create a blank project using the audio plugin template.
  4. Add CLion exporter
  5. Open the generated CLion project.

Here’s the error message:

failed to find AUComponent/AUComponent.r
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Headers/AudioUnit.r:18: ### Rez - noErr (0) during open of "AUComponent.r".
    Fatal Error!
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Headers/AudioUnit.r:18: ### Rez - Fatal Error, can't recover.
    AUComponent.r: ### Rez - Since errors occurred, /Users/eyalamir/Code/NewProject/Builds/CLion/cmake-build-debug/NewProject.rsrc's resource fork was not completely updated.

That should fix CLion. The original ResMerger errFSBadFSRef error is unlikely to be affected though.

1 Like

I got this error now too, out of the blue it started to happen on the build server. This is the error message:

/usr/bin/ResMerger -dstIs DF /Volumes/Buildserver/Jenkins/Home/workspace/PlayX-Mac/Builds/MacOSX/build/PlayX.build/Release/PlayX\ -\ AU.build/ResourceManagerResources/Objects/include_juce_audio_plugin_client_AU.rsrc -o /Volumes/Buildserver/Jenkins/Home/workspace/PlayX-Mac/Builds/MacOSX/build/PlayX.build/Release/PlayX\ -\ AU.build/ResourceManagerResources/lsPlayX.rsrc

file /Volumes/Buildserver/Jenkins/Home/workspace/PlayX-Mac/Builds/MacOSX/build/PlayX.build/Release/PlayX - AU.build/ResourceManagerResources/lsPlayX.rsrc: ### /Applications/Xcode 11.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/ResMerger - ERROR: errFSBadFSRef

Here is what some docs say:

|errFSBadFSRef|-1401|An FSRef parameter was invalid. There are several possible causes:

The parameter was not optional, but the pointer was NULL.

The volume reference number contained within the FSRef does not match a currently mounted volume. This can happen if the volume was unmounted after the FSRef was created.

Some other private field inside the FSRef contains a value that could never be valid. If the field value could be valid, but doesn’t happen to match the existing volume or in-memory structures, a “not found” error would be returned instead.

This did not help me unfortunately. Does anyone found a workaround or a fix ?

Had this same error a for a couple of days, but I tried the project again today and AU magically worked. I don’t know what happened.

2 Likes

this fixed it for me aswell.

I’m on 5.4.3. Updated Catalina & Xcode, this just devoured a good chunk of time but changing the <AU.r> path worked for me as well

I have the same problem. The solution of renaming #include <AudioUnit/AudioUnit.r> to #include <AudioUnit.r> doesn’t apply for me as it is already #include <AudioUnit.r> . I tried to create a new project in the home folder but still doesn’t build.

• ERROR: errFSBadFSRef
    Command ResMergerCollector failed with a nonzero exit code

Anyone has idea of how to get rid of this error?