Audiobus

Your best bet is to read the AudioBus integration guide on their site and then look at the code examples in this thread. They do work but require a lot of patience and some extra housekeeping. Until Jules & co decide this is a priority to include in Juce (it should be, AudioBus is the most popular "plug-in" format for iOS, and including it also gives you Inter-app Audio for free) you unfortunately have to modify Juce library code to get it all working. 

I can tell you again that AudioBus support is in our backlog and on our radar. We'd love to finish this feature soon, but at the moment some other things need to happen first... but we'll get there eventually :-)

1 Like

Good to hear, thanks Timur!

would love to see this!

Is there an update on the progress of AudioBus?

Nothing to update right now - it's still on our to-do list (or maybe IAA instead) and we'll need it for ROLI products too, so it'll happen, but can't say exactly when.

Is there any native AudioBus support now?

We’ve decided to support IAA and AUv3 instead.

ok, thx. will look into that. i’m guessing that IAA support is now on a par with Audiobus as it’s been around for a few iOS versions now…

RE: [ We’ve decided to support IAA and AUv3 instead]

We need all of them please: IAA, AUV3, Ableton-Link … AND AudioBus3. support.
I could understand ROLI dropping audiobus support if the above was in reference to AudioBus 2 only - But not AudioBus 3 - which adds some extremely useful MIDI routing features in its new MIDI page. If you’ve ever used iOS IAA music apps in anger on an iPad it soon becomes clear that the benefits of AudioBus 3 via the new MIDI page are very much needed. And slowly all the devs of major iOS music apps are retrofitting AB3 support to their apps if it is relevant.

Its going to be a very very long time before all of the leading iPad music apps get converted - if at all - by their devs to become audio units. And for many - such as Gadget ( or say SoundPrism and other apps which are primarily MIDI senders ) for example - it makes little sense to do so anyway

Until Apple make something similar to the MIDI routing features in AB3. I would urge you to reconsider dropping AudioBus 3 support. Most of the big iOS app developers are supporting it just as they move to support Ableton-Link because both of these pieces of middleware add real benefit to the muso-user.

If the app being developed for iOS is the kind from which AB3 and Ableton-Link support would benefit the user and help the developer make money from their app sales why not help us by including such things in JUCE ?

1 Like

IAA support is NOT on a par with AudiBus 3.

Apple adds plumbing solutions to their API and OS at a glacial pace. Hence why so many 3rd Pty workaround middleware solutions got developed ( by some very clever and forward thinking - community-minded iOS developers )

bumping this again to see if any devs have any thoughts on @dstenning’s comments… Ableton Link is something else that it would be good to have insight into…

2 Likes

aaaaaand …

bump.

Since Audiobus and Ableton-Link are both (I assume) Objective-C API’s, there’s nothing stopping a motivated developer with the time and inclination to create a JUCE module to wrap them…

Or maybe there are JUCE developers out there with released products that use these two middle-ware technologies that might be willing to share their code ?

KORG devs for example could share+open-source their JUCE+ObjC code-snippets etc for Ableton-Link in Gadget since that app supports AL.

OR UVI for AudioBus ? ( BeatHawk )

Any news regarding Audiobus (3)? It’s funny that I actually started this thread way back when I was working for dlab on the AudioPluginGenerator project. And now I could really use Audiobus support in JUCE for my own apps and plugins…

since the recent announcement of AUv3 MIDI Effect/output plugin support in iOS11 i’ve decided to go down that route instead of the AudioBus3 MIDI page route. I think (obviously) its the future.

But would still be useful to have AB3 ( and Ableton-Link ) support in the JUCE framework.

I think the most interesting feature of Audiobus is that you could define multiple inputs and outputs, while normal audio on iOS (incl. AUv3) seems to be limited to stereo I/O. For me that would be very interesting because I write binaural rendering plugins that could support any number of inputs (=sound sources in a virtual room).

1 Like