AudioKit port

Hi folks,

In case anybody out there is interested, I’ve ported AudioKit core to Android and Windows, and have integrated that code into the Wotja Synth / Effects engine.

So, we’re working now to start bringing AudioKit units into Wotja moving forwards. I’ve already got the Ladder Filter working in our internal builds - it was pretty easy to add.

Of course, we’ve shared our porting changes back with the AudioKit team - I hope they’ll merge them back to their main repository at some point!

Best wishes to all,

Pete

6 Likes

Is there a way to get access to AudioKit for Android ? and develop Android App based on that ?

1 Like

Hi @jhango21,

For reasons I can’t remember, they never got around to merging all my porting changes before they did a big code re-organization. I’ve simply not got around to re-porting all of their code.

My fork is here:

Pete

I guess if anybody out there wants to take-over by re-forking and re-submitting, that’d be great!

Pete

Thanks I will check it out.

is there a readme or something, I was trying to test this fork on Android, I will try to I am not a contributor in AudioKit yet but I can take a stab at re-forking and re-submitting.

Hi @jhango21, I just saw your post.

To get involved, you need to sign-up to their Slack channel and let them know what you want to do. I can’t actually remember how I figured that out :slight_smile: but I guess a dig around their website will find it. They’re a friendly bunch! NB: if you don’t follow this approach, then I doubt they’d be particularly minded to merge your fork back; they were very iOS focused when I did my port.

So: I let them know what I wanted to do on Slack, and got plenty of interest, and went ahead following their fork suggestions. The only issue was that my fork never got back-merged; which is a shame but there you go as it is now quite a bit out-of-sync with the main branch.

If you wanted to do the port, I’d suggest you have a look at the differences in my version, and what I’d branched from - there are a lot of changes, but I really kept these to an absolute minimum - and start with a clean fork (according to whatever they advise you), and basically apply what I’d done as best you can to match - that would save you a lot of effort I think.

It’d certainly be a useful piece of work to get into AudioKit.

Hoping that helps, Pete

Thanks I will try to get there, I am trying to build a Audio app we call it voice Gym, to help practice Indian Classical music, we have a Version thats based on Audio Kit for IOS, and I was hoping if we have a Android port of Audio Kit we dont have to redo what we did. Few months Ago when we started AudioKit had no plans or even intent to get in Android Space. But with your post gave me a lot of hope. Let me connect with Audio Kit folks on Slack and figure out, what they suggest. Might as well go ahead with OOBE based application if AudioKit is too much work.

@jhango21 I would say that if you’re going to build a cross-platform Audio app, focus on seeing what you can do with a JUCE license.

AudioKit would give you some FX units and Synths, which you could write JUCE adaptors for, but the key is really the cross-platform user interface, and audio adaptor layer; and for that you’d can make things a lot easier if you start with a JUCE centric viewpoint.

JUCE for mobile does have its own issues - for example, we had to write our own UI layer to sit on top of it that gave a navigation model, and we had really bad audio break-up issues on Android so use our own Audio adaptor for that, and lots of other things we’ve had to ‘tweak’, but overall it has saved a lot of effort.

Best wishes,

Pete

I would also note that I do have AudioKit built-in to my library (for all of iOS, macOS, Windows, Android) but am not currently using any of it in the “live” system. The effect units I tried worked OK, but were very inefficient :slight_smile: - I hope to look at them again at some point.

Pete