AudioProcessorValueTreeState Improvements

Could your AnotherProcessorClass have a method that returns an array of AudioProcessorParameters (or perhaps a group of them) which you could then pass to the ParameterLayout constructor after you’ve initialised?

Something roughly along the lines of:

struct MainProcessor : public AudioProcessor
{
    MainProcessor()
        : state (*this, nullptr, "state", anotherProcessorClass1.getParameters(), 
                                          anotherProcessorClass2.getParameters()), 
    {
    }

AudioProcessorValueTreeState state;
    AnotherProcessorClass anotherProcessorClass;
};

not really, because my “AnotherProcessorClass” constructor is expecting the AudioProcessorValueTreeState as parameter.

Of course I could change that, do things differently, but I wanted to stress the point that the new way can imply quite a few changes.

I just hope you will keep the old constructor around for a while… (I’m really not against the latest changes, which are most likely an improvement, but it’s quite some work to stay up to date with changes and depreciations lately)

Hi All,
I am playing around tutorial Cascading plug-in effects using processors which already use APVTS, similar like @lalala mentioned.

For now I had implementation more or less like @t0m proposed, but I wondering if each processor could have its own APVTS. Then in main processor methods getStateInformation and setStateInformation would be a little more complicated. But I think AudioPluginHost has such implementation already. There is static function createNodeXml in FilterGraph which calls
node->getProcessor()->getStateInformation (m);

Is there anything against using own APVTS object in all “anotherProcessorClass-es”?
Does it sounds reasonable?

Kindly regards,
Mateusz

I think it’s good that you’ve got the AudioParameterX classes back into the APVTS stuff. However, the best practice method seems to make it hard (impossible?) to use NormalisableRange::setSkewForCentre().

To grab an existing chunk of code as an example:

auto bwp_range = NormalisableRange<float>(MINUS_THIRTY_SIX_DB, 1.0f); bwp_range.setSkewForCentre(Decibels::decibelsToGain(-8.0f)); brick_wall_param = parameters.createAndAddParameter(std::make_unique<Parameter>("limit", "Target Max Signal", "dB", bwp_range, 1.0f, db_to_text, db_from_text));

Using parameters.getParameterRange("limit").setSkewForCentre(Decibels::decibelsToGain(-8.0f)); after the constructor block doesn’t work because getParameterRange returns a copy of the NormalisableRange.

parameters.getParameter("limit")->getNormalisableRange().setSkewForCentre(Decibels::decibelsToGain(-8.0f)); doesn’t work because this time it returns a const.

Any recommendations?

I haven’t tried it, but I would expect something like this to work:

juce::AudioProcessorValueTreeState::ParameterLayout makeParameters() {
  auto param = std::make_unique<juce::AudioParameterFloat>(...);
  param->range.setSkewForCentre(...);
  return { std::move(param), /* any extra parameters go here */ };
}

// When constructing your apvts
MyAudioProcessor()
  : apvts { *this, nullptr, "state", makeParameters() }
{
}

Thanks, that seems so obvious now. :thinking:

thanks @t0m this post was super helpful for migrating to the new AudioProcessorValueTreeState management!
one question: let’s say I want to create an AudioParameterFloat in the createParameterLayout() method like above…I can use the other AudioParameterFloat constructor to insert almost all the old attributes…but isMeta and isAutomatable still seem to be missing (isChoice too but I assume that’s covered by the choice param…)
…is there a way to set those two in the new code??
thanks!

I’m on board with this change, but I have a couple of questions:

1. The suggested way to migrate legacy code is to replace:
createAndAddParameter (paramID1, paramName1, ...);

with

using Parameter = AudioProcessorValueTreeState::Parameter;
createAndAddParameter (std::make_unique&lt;Parameter&gt; (paramID1, paramName1, ...));

That works fine, but it still relies on the old constructor, I think?

apvts (*this, nullptr)

And since this constructor is deprecated, isn’t this new method of adding parameters just as fragile as the old method? i.e. it will stop working in future, due to the old constructor being removed.

1. In the past parameters were created in my processor’s constructor, which gave me the freedom to interact with class members as I was adding each parameter. For example I might keep an array of bools that indicated whether changes in value to a particular parameter should be smoothed:
MyProcessor::MyProcessor()
    : state (*this, nullptr)
{
    state.createAndAddParameter ( ... )
    paramsShouldSmooth.add(false); // update a class member with info about this param

state.createAndAddParameter ( ... )
    paramsShouldSmooth.add(true); // update a class member with info about this param
}

Presumably it is no longer possible to interact with my processor’s class members in “real-time” while I am adding parameters, and any such interaction would have to happen after all the members have been created?

1. You can use the new Parameter type with the new constructor and ParameterLayout, but you will have to migrate away from createAndAddParameter eventually.
  2. The new interface does mean we have to do things slightly differently, but the advantage of this approach is that we can avoid two-phase initialisation. A lot of beginners seem to get caught out by forgetting to initialise the state member… If you really really need to tweak data members while setting up parameters, you can add a function with the following signature to your class as a private member:
static ParameterLayout setUpParameters (MyProcessor&);

Then, in your initialiser list you would

: apvts { *this, nullptr, "tree", setUpParameters (*this) }

I stress that this should be a last-resort technique though.

Also, due to the order of data member initialisation in C++, you should ensure that the apvts member is declared after any members you modify in setUpParameters in the processor class definition.

Thanks reuk. For future plugins I will follow the recommended approach, but I think your suggestions will help me to refactor one of my old plugins. I hadn’t considered passing a reference to processor to ParameterLayout.

Jan 12

thanks @t0m this post was super helpful for migrating to the new AudioProcessorValueTreeState management!
one question: let’s say I want to create an AudioParameterFloat in the createParameterLayout() method like above…I can use the other AudioParameterFloat constructor to insert almost all the old attributes…but isMeta and isAutomatable still seem to be missing ( isChoice too but I assume that’s covered by the choice param…)
…is there a way to set those two in the new code??
thanks!

This is an important part of dynamic parameters? Any news. Would be great to have an alternate dummy system, where isAutomatable and other attributes can be edited later. The number of required dummy parameters and their ids alone could be set on init.

The reasoning so far was, that most hosts don’t support that.
Maybe it is time for a thorough investigation, for which hosts that is still the case.
So what we would need:

• an experimental branch, that allows adding parameters later
  • people testing as many hosts as possible
  • if enough hosts support that in a stable fashion, it should go into the production version (aka master)

If people have already information about hosts, that support adding and removing parameters at runtime, we could start collecting data.

Sounds like a plan?

oh yeah