Closed source demo/beta before license purchase?

hi jules.
i maybe want to sell some plug ins , so i guess i have to leave the source closed, to prevent people from selling modified version of my plug ins. but i can not afford the license fee right now. can i hand out demo/beta versions without source code?
the thing is i’m planning on distributing several little plug ins as donationware , pro and limited free version with unlimited demo etc.
(i dont want to make big business, just want to buy some time to make musik and programm musik tools)
but i would like to have at least a little feedback from some other people about the qualizty of my software. Can i give closed source versions of my plug ins to some people without breaking the license?

thanks.

d3ck

Well that would be breaking the GPL license, unless you gave them the source as well…

If you’re not going to sell enough copies to make it worth getting a commercial license, then the “ethical” thing to do is to go open-source with it. That’s why I like the dual-licensing model, because it persuades people to either do more open-source when they wouldn’t have done so otherwise (which is good), or give money to me (which is also good!)

Use an obfuscator if you are paranoid about source, but if you are going to have truly closed-source stuff, pay jules. He deserves it :wink:

FlyingIsFun1217

I’ve been sitting on some projects that I don’t want to open source, but I’ve been gamely waiting for the dollar to recover any semblance of strength.

I’m close to giving up and just biting the bullet on buying a multi-license for myself. At todays exchange though, it’s gonna hurt.

(which reminds me, I should probably upgrade my works one to a multi too, since I’m nearing starting a new project).

Yeah, for us in the US, it’s unbearable. Also noticed your quite close to me, I’m around the Fox Valley area.

FlyingIsFun1217

[quote=“FlyingIsFun1217”]Also noticed your quite close to me, I’m around the Fox Valley area.
[/quote]

SW suburbs? I’m not that familiar with the western suburbs, as I’ve only lived on the north side, and the south east suburbs (NW Indiana currently, but I can throw a stone at the state line).

[quote=“valley”][quote=“FlyingIsFun1217”]Also noticed your quite close to me, I’m around the Fox Valley area.
[/quote]

SW suburbs? I’m not that familiar with the western suburbs, as I’ve only lived on the north side, and the south east suburbs (NW Indiana currently, but I can throw a stone at the state line).[/quote]

Aurora area :wink:

Back on topic: Has the OP decided on a solution?

FlyingIsFun1217

[quote=“FlyingIsFun1217”][quote=“valley”][quote=“FlyingIsFun1217”]Also noticed your quite close to me, I’m around the Fox Valley area.
[/quote]

SW suburbs? I’m not that familiar with the western suburbs, as I’ve only lived on the north side, and the south east suburbs (NW Indiana currently, but I can throw a stone at the state line).[/quote]

Aurora area :wink:

Back on topic: Has the OP decided on a solution?

FlyingIsFun1217[/quote]

yes, i decidet i’ll publish a free open source verison, but only after i have done some work on a forthcoming commercial pro version , so i’m a step ahead of the competition ;).

can you point me to a link/file wich writes what “texts” i have to include i i’m going to publish? maybe i’m even releaseing this week, but may also take a month or two (i have to do other tedious things to make some money:( ).

D3CK

GNU GPL License (but does Juce use V2?).

FlyingIsFun1217

Yeah, I’m sticking with V2 for now. Not sure about the V3 stuff.

From the sounds of it, it would be smoother just to keep v2 and avoid any confusion with a new license :wink:

Thanks!
FlyingIsFun1217