Collision between AudioUnit and AudioUnit V3

So I’m working on a synth plugin. I’m testing on High Sierra, and I’m testing – in part – on Ableton Live 9.7.

When I first install my plugin, initially my plug-in doesn’t show up in Live, but then after I reboot, the internal OS plug-in list gets updated and my V2 AudioUnit loads up fine in Live.

At this point, I see my plugin listed when I run

auval -a

And if I run

auval -o -v aumu Acst Dldy

I see passing tests about my plugin. So far so good.

Then, after I run the Standalone version of my plug-in and reboot again, the V3 AudioUnit version of the plugin (which is bundled inside the app) gets registered with the system.

If I run this same command

auval -o -v aumu Acst Dldy

It says that my plugin is Version 3.

If I run this

auval -o -comp -v aumu Acst Dldy

I get info about the V2 version of the plugin.

At this point, if I open up Ableton Live 9 (which does not support AUv3 plugins), I get an error message if I try to use the Audio Unit. In other words, is as though the OS is supplying the V3 version of the plug-in to Ableton rather than the V2 version.

What can be done about this?

2 Likes

Hello,
I’m now in the same scenario,
Do you have solved the issue?
Ableton can’t open my AU plugin when the Standalone, which contains the AUv3 extension, is installed. By moving the standalone (and his extension AUv3) in the trash (temporarily) Ableton run the AU normally. By restoring the app from the trash (and open at once to register the AUv3 in the system) Ableton stop to open it. I guess Ableton attempt to open the AUv3 as an AU.
Any idea?
Thanks, cheers.