Compiling Projucer on Raspberry Pi stuck

Hi all,

I’m trying to compile the Projucer on a Raspberry Pi 3b+. I’ve installed Ubuntu MATE on it, version 18.04.2 (bionic). I also believe i’ve all the dependencies installed pointed out in other threads.

I don’t get errors. I just hangs on me halfway compiling the juce modules. Seems to be random too on which module it gets stuck. At that point, even the mouse cannot be moved normally.

Tried compiling with g++ and clang and do a make clean before invoking make each time.

Does anybody have some insight on this? Much appreciated!

Thanks,
Milan

Hi Milan,

My first guess is that something (either the compiler, the linker, or make) is running out of memory, and then memory swapping kicks in and everything becomes super slow.

To monitor the memory usage, you can use htop. It has a pretty nice UI, where you can see the memory usage, but also the CPU usage. Both of these metrics should help you figure out what is going on.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks Martin, very helpful!

I’m running htop and FireFox was using a lot of memory. Shutting that down seems to do the trick :slight_smile:

I encountered a RPi that was hanging due to the lack of RAM available while compiling complex projects too. Another thing that helps here is to lower the number of parallel build steps passed to the makefile via the -j flag if used. I was so used to call make -j8 that I typed in the same when compiling my first project on the Pi – resulting in a system not responding to any user Input anymore. However, -j2 should be absolutely fine in most cases.

Side note: If you plan to do serious development for ARM targets, you should better get used to cross-compiling, it’s really no fun to compile real-world projects on a tiny ARM.

2 Likes

Thanks all,
I’ve switched to the latest Raspbian instead of MATE and it compiles without issues. The -j also seems to work well on memory. It is still incredibly slow to even compile a simple app, so my next move will be setting up a cross compiler