Correct way of reporting invocation failure?

Hello

I have an “Open audio file” menu entry, triggered by a command, and I made it return “false” when the user tries to open an unsupported (or bogus) file.

However, when doing that, I run into the following assertion, in juce_ApplicationCommandTarget.cpp, line 72 (version 2.0.27) :

jassert (success); // hmm - your target should have been able to perform this command. If it can’t
// do it at the moment for some reason, it should clear the ‘isActive’ flag when it
// returns the command’s info.

I understand the logic behind this, but what should I do in this case ?

It seems to me I have missed something important.

Thanks in advance.

Benjamin

The return value just indicates whether or not you processed the command (which you did). It’s not there to report whether whatever you did was successful or not.

OK. I thought that was somewhat related to the undo stack (and that unsuccessful commands would not be stored inthe stack) but I see there’s another mechanism for that.

Thanks.

BTW in my company, we pay a WHOLE LOT of money for msdn (including support) and managing to get replies to questions I did submit through Microsoft support takes ages… It’s amazing how fast you (and others) reply in this forum. Thanks for the GREAT library and for the support, too !