Crash with non-GUI app and AlertWindow

Hi,

for much improved robustness, I am scanning for installed plugins in a separate process rather than in the host itself. This nicely discards all the loaded plugins and leaves the host in a clean state.

The scanner has no main window or menu bar and only shows a single AlertWindow to indicate progress. Therefore I created a “Non-GUI” project with Introjucer and manually did a initialiseJuce_GUI(); and shutdownJuce_GUI(); around the actual scanning code. This worked fine until updated to the latest tip (v1.54.21), but now it is broken (Mac):

2011-07-10 18:32:07.089 Scanner[23180:10b] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Error (1002) creating CGSWindow' 2011-07-10 18:32:07.090 Scanner[23180:10b] Stack: ( 2528202731, 2539621947, 2528202187, 2528202250, 2447446183, ... )
The crash happens when alertWindow.enterModalState() gets around to toFront();, namely when sending the message [window makeKeyAndOrderFront: nil];

The NSWindow seems to be ok, so I wonder what’s wrong with my code? Did I miss something important concerning the GUI/Non-GUI notion? What does CGSWindow mean?

Any hint is appreciated!

Since you are using a GUI, why would you try to make it a non-GUI app…?

I don’t need a window and a menu bar.

And I need to launch it as a child process. This does not work easily with a Mac app, where the executable is nested in the bundle. At least it makes things more complicated.

You said you’re using an AlertWindow, so how is that not a window!? Whether or not it needs a menubar is irrelevant - if you’re running an event loop, it’s got to be a GUI app, and for any windows, you need an event loop.

Hmm. Thanks for clarifying. I first ran a FakeMessageThread, but that didn’t help, so I made it a regular GUI app now which does all its work in the initialise() method and then quits.

I still wonder whether it would be better to kick off a one-time event shortly after the app completed its initialisation, and have that event (message) perform the scan?

Yes, probably better to do that.

Good to know, thanks for the tip.

Now my PerformOnMessageThread class comes in handy :slight_smile: