Creating a MouseEvent?

I have a JUCE Component that needs to trigger another callback in another part of my code whenever it receives certain UI callbacks such as mouseDown.

I always write unit tests for the re-usable bits of my code. So in this case, in the unit test I would manually call the component’s mouseDown and then check that the desired side effect occurred.

However I just can’t figure out how to do that! calling mouseDown requires me to pass in a MouseEvent, which I cannot instantiate without giving it a MouseInputSource. And that MouseInputSource is, as far as I can see, completely impossible to instantiate, obtain an instance of it from anywhere, inherit from, or anything else I can think of!

JUCE fiercely resists all my attempts to write a mocking framework for it to make its UI bits unit testable in any way…

In the meantime, does anyone has an idea how to unit test things like that?

1 Like

Maybe : just don’t try testing GUIs? :wink:

But if you really have to do it, generate mouse moves and clicks using OS specific APIs?

0 Likes

In this specific use case, it would be a lot more time-consuming and error-prone to manually test all the things that can happen in the actual running app… it would be much better to unit-test things in isolation. If it were possible. (At least if you write code the way I do…)

OS-specific APIs are not an option either – this is cross-platform code.

1 Like

Something like this would be great!

0 Likes

Any chance your Unit Tests can use Desktop::getMainMouseSource()? that would give you a MouseInputSource.

0 Likes

Yep, I also just discovered that I can make my unit test framework (I use Catch2) have a juce::Desktop instance and this allows me to do a few more things in there.

I’ll explore this direction and report back here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Might be even better to use something like Desktop::setMousePosition()?

0 Likes

Nope, because afaics juce::Desktop doesn’t actually let you click anything with the mock mouse.

0 Likes

Also, iiuc, this call would actually move the real mouse cursor. Unit tests shouldn’t do things like that!

0 Likes

Yes it would.

0 Likes