Distorted Sine Wave

Hi all, first post! :slight_smile:

Anyways, I began working with JUCE recently (and have come back to C++ after a good few years). Following on from the sine synth tutorial, I decided to make the wave in stereo and try out some processing on the audi output. The problem with the code below is that the output is distorted and not a clean sine wave. I believe the problem is to do with the same wave not being written to both the left and write channel and so the waves are not smooth sines, however I cannot think of a fix.

Sorry for the n00b question, any suggestions?

for (int channel = 0; channel < bufferToFill.buffer->getNumChannels(); ++channel)
        {
            // Get a pointer to the start sample in the buffer for this audio output channel
            float* const buffer = bufferToFill.buffer->getWritePointer (channel, bufferToFill.startSample);

// Fill the required number of samples with values generated from the sine formula
            for (int sample = 0; sample < bufferToFill.numSamples; ++sample)
            {
                const float currentSample = (float) std::sin (currentAngle);
                currentAngle += changeOfAngle;
                buffer[sample] = currentSample * 0.125;
            }
        }

void updateChangeOfAngle()
{
    //double frequencyValue = MidiMessage::getMidiNoteInHertz(frequencySlider.getValue());
    const double cyclesPerSample = MidiMessage::getMidiNoteInHertz(69 + frequencySlider.getValue()) / currentSampleRate;
    changeOfAngle = 2 * double_Pi * cyclesPerSample;
}

add a DBG() statement when the outer for() loop starts and look at the value of currentSample and currentAngle before the inner loop is executed.

Debugging shows what I thought was correct in that the values created from the inner for loop continue over so there is a big chunk of sine wave missing from each channel. I think the problem is something along the lines of How would I store the point at which the previous channels calculations got to and read that value to continue from?

You’re doubling up on incrementing the counter (currentAngle). Simple fix is to flip the order of the nested loops, IE

for (int sample = 0; sample < bufferToFill.numSamples; ++sample)
{
    const float currentSample = (float) std::sin (currentAngle);
    currentAngle += changeOfAngle;

for (int channel = 0; channel < bufferToFill.buffer->getNumChannels(); ++channel)
         bufferToFill.buffer->getWritePointer(channel, bufferToFill.startSample)[sample] = currentSample;
}

Thank you ever so much!
Knew it was a simple fix, just didn’t know how to go about it. Wrapping my head around the basics of audio/ MIDI processing still