Hi all, I was just wondering what the best practice is for distributing binaries on OSX is. Here are my thoughts on the issue:
- So far, I can’t tell any performance differences between 64 and 32 bit builds
- OSX seems to default to loading the 64bit version anyway so users would have to manually switch on ‘Open in 32bit mode’ which I doubt many would do
- Since 10.5 (maybe even 10.4) 64bit apps have been supported and I believe are the norm now
- Building a universal binary just takes twice as long and generates a binary that is twice as big
- Since make builds 3rd party libraries in 64bit by default it is easier to link with these in a 64 only build
Basically I’m looking for any reason that I should continue 32bit support. Is it necessary at all these days?
Any thoughts/experiences welcome.