External Drag & Drop does not work on Linux

I’ve created simple program to reproduce here: https://github.com/FigBug/juce_bugs/tree/master/ExternalDrag

Simple app, lists files in your documents directory on left, you can drag to right and it gives path or drag to external app. Works on Windows / Mac, not on Ubuntu 16.04

Is this not working for anybody else?

I get the Documents folder listed on the left half, and I can also drag & drop files from the Desktop / file manager to the right half with their paths being shown. So it looks good here on Arch Linux with XFCE.

Just wondering if anybody can get this to work on Ubuntu Linux?

It’s working on Ubuntu (16.04) but not as expected. When dragging you have to leave the app window and then enter it again to get it working.

I’m still struggling with this. Is there a way to do an internal drag and drop and if it goes to an external window then it turns to a external file drag and drop?

Hey @ed95, I hear you are in the Linux code right now. Can you take a look at this one for me please?

1 Like

Almost, but not quite there yet.

To the same window is working, but not to another window. I updated the test app.

It’s working fine for me on Ubuntu 18.04: (sorry for the rubbish .gif)

Ok, I’m on 16.04 right now. I’ll see on 18.04.

I was able to reproduce the issue. Drag and drop still does not work on linux, while it works on all other platforms. Also some users reported this. Im on Ubuntu 19.03.

We try to drag something from an external file editor into a plugin window.

Scotchi submitted a patch to address these problems: Patch: Implements drag and drop for plugin windows on Linux
Unfortunately nobody of the JUCE team cared to answer or review the patch.

2 Likes