FR: JUCE Vulkan

Would like to see that too and I think the JUCE team is already working of it, however if I got the information shared here in January right, then we won’t see a Vulkan-only solution with MoltenVK used for macOS as the link @parawave shared suggests.

I believe there is a lot work involved in getting this done right, but maybe we could get an update from @t0m on the current plans regarding this whole topic on a regular basis? This could help us having the direction the framework will be going in mind when we would e.g. start to design a new product with heavy GPU rendering today. Would it be more like an abstraction layer that redirects the most common rendering API calls to whatever suits the platform we are on, where we would only have to write individual shaders for each platform? Or would it be something like a base class for all GPU rendering solutions all renderers (e.g. legacy OpenGL for backwards compatibility, Vulkan and Metal) derive from? Or something completely different? Would be really great to know which direction you are going :slight_smile:

1 Like