getUniqueMachineID() is sometimes not unique

Hi, JUCE developers.

Since v7.0.3, JUCE Added a unique machine ID.
The function is OnlineUnlockStatus::MachineIDUtilities::getUniqueMachineID().
https://docs.juce.com/master/structOnlineUnlockStatus_1_1MachineIDUtilities.html#a7ea01b874e802b5b6279472415bd8875

However, in some Windows environments, the return value of this function changes after every restart.
I found in my investigation that the SMBIOS information used by Windows to generate Unique IDs changes on every reboot, so that different IDs are generated for the same machine.

It is not unique at all that the ID changes every time it is restarted, please fix this.

1 Like

Could you provide some more details on the Windows environments you’re seeing this behaviour on?

I sent you customer environment data via DM. Please check.

Hello, got the same issue for some customers (Windows 10 pro), have you found what are the condition of unstable UID ? (mother board ?)

got same problem here :frowning: investigating but def not stable id

Here’s a previous discussion about the latest implementation of uniqueID:

Sorry. There is a fix on the way for this issue.

5 Likes

thx - i’m guessing this is not going to change IDs that are currently being generated outside of this fix?

Any news on a possible fix for this?

any estimated date regarding that fix?

no update?

can we get some update on that please?
that is also a critical issue for us, as this breaks our customers licenses.

There is currently a fix going through review. Hopefully, it will be on ‘develop’ by end of the week.

5 Likes

@oli1 hello,
Is there a new update about this issue? It is really a bif problem. I was planing to release my plugin but now as far as I can see many other developers get mails about licensing. Users lose their licenses.

I think the TLDR it’s nice when these are stable, but you can still launch. Track the current and machine ID, when it changes, update all your systems to the new machine ID. Now the system is able to deal with non totally stable machine ids

waiting a further update on this as well please - we’ve had to implement a work around for our windows users but its not a great long-term solution

It’s almost ready to go. It’s just gone through a round of testing to make sure it’s stable across all Windows devices.

A fix for this is currently going through our ‘develop’ pipeline and hopefully should be public today.

Thanks for being patient with this one!

Oli

2 Likes

It has been 12 days. Any updates?

The fix is available on our develop branch:

1 Like