Help with building demo plugin on OSX! ASSERTION FAILURE!

I’ve just downloaded the latest tip and tried to build the plugin demo. I’m a complete Mac newbie but I keep getting the following error:

Line Location Tool:0: Internal error occurred while creating dependency graph: ASSERTION FAILURE in /SourceCache/DevToolsBase/DevToolsBase-921/pbxcore/Target.subproj/XCPropertyDefinition.m:486
Details: archName should be a non-empty string, but it’s an empty string
Object: XCEnumerationPropertyDefinition:0x0223fd90
Method: -supportsArchitecture:
Thread: <NSThread: 0x27ed950>{name = (null), num = 3}
Backtrace:
0 0x00712276 -[PBXTargetBuildContext(DependencyGraphEvents) handleFailureInMethod:object:fileName:lineNumber:messageFormat:arguments:] (in DevToolsCore)
1 0x0076cead XCAssertionFailureHandler (in DevToolsCore)
2 0x005eccf5 -[XCPropertyDefinition supportsArchitecture:] (in DevToolsCore)
3 0x005ec8be -[XCCommandLineToolSpecification commandLineForAutogeneratedOptionsInTargetBuildContext:] (in DevToolsCore)
4 0x0073e190 -[PBXCompilerSpecificationRez computeDependenciesForFilePath:ofType:outputDirectory:inTargetBuildContext:] (in DevToolsCore)
5 0x005e1511 -[XCBuildRuleDGSnapshot computeDependenciesForFilePath:ofType:forBuildFileReference:withOutputDirectory:additionalProperties:inTargetBuildContext:] (in DevToolsCore)
6 0x005dfa14 -[XCBuildRuleDGSnapshot computeDependenciesForFilePath:ofType:forBuildFileReference:withOutputDirectory:inTargetBuildContext:] (in DevToolsCore)
7 0x006b0952 -[XCRezBuildPhaseDGSnapshot computeDependenciesForFilePath:ofType:forBuildFileReference:usingBuildRule:inTargetBuildContext:] (in DevToolsCore)
8 0x006b0fe4 -[XCRezBuildPhaseDGSnapshot computeDependenciesForBuildFileReference:inTargetBuildContext:] (in DevToolsCore)
9 0x005d3df4 -[XCBuildPhaseDGSnapshot computeDependenciesForAllBuildFileReferencesInTargetBuildContext:] (in DevToolsCore)
10 0x005d38a0 -[XCBuildPhaseDGSnapshot computeDependenciesInTargetBuildContext:] (in DevToolsCore)
11 0x006640b3 -[XCRezBuildPhaseDGSnapshot computeDependenciesInTargetBuildContext:] (in DevToolsCore)
12 0x005c84d9 -[XCProductTypeSpecification computeDependenciesInTargetBuildContext:] (in DevToolsCore)
13 0x005c42e0 -[XCNativeTargetDGSnapshot computeDependenciesInTargetBuildContext:] (in DevToolsCore)
14 0x005c1a4e -[PBXTargetBuildContext createDependencyGraphWithTargetDGSnapshot:] (in DevToolsCore)
15 0x005c0c8b -[PBXTargetBuildContext(DependencyGraphEvents) dg_setTargetSnapshot:] (in DevToolsCore)
16 0x915aba7d invoking
(in CoreFoundation)
17 0x915ab468 -[NSInvocation invoke] (in CoreFoundation)
18 0x005c06b1 -[PBXTargetBuildContext(DependencyGraphEvents) processDependencyGraphEvents] (in DevToolsCore)
19 0x915aba7d invoking_ (in CoreFoundation)
20 0x915ab468 -[NSInvocation invoke] (in CoreFoundation)
21 0x005c001e -[XCInvocationQueue _processNextInvocationInThreadSlotNumber:] (in DevToolsCore)
22 0x005bfccd -[XCInvocationQueue _processInvocationsInThreadSlotNumber:] (in DevToolsCore)
23 0x922c9bad -[NSThread main] (in Foundation)
24 0x922c9754 NSThread__main (in Foundation)
25 0x9128c6f5 _pthread_start (in libSystem.B.dylib)
26 0x9128c5b2 thread_start (in libSystem.B.dylib)

Any ideas? By the way I deleted commondebugsettings and the commonreleasesettings too as I don’t have the rtas sdk…

ok… you might notice that there’s no juce code at all in that stack trace. Looks like your host that’s asserting for some reason.

And by host you mean Xcode? I get this assertion before anything even starts to compile? I just did a recent clean install of Xcode too, perhaps someone else has encountered this problem before. I hope so cos I’m stumped…

Oh, sorry I assumed you were talking about a runtime failure!

This might have nothing at all to do with your problem, but a few minutes ago someone else just suggested that we need to add
#define UseExtendedThingResource 1

at the start of juce_AU_Resources.r, and since this is a problem with the resource compiler, that’s worth a try…

#define UseExtendedThingResource 1 is already already set at the top if that file? Another thing, is that none of the AU source seems to be seen by xcode, even thought it resides in the normal location. Then again I can’t find it in finder either, I only know it’s there because I checked it on the terminal. But that’s another issue, right now I can’t even get past this first problem in order for compilation to start.

May be it’s the architecture setting in the project/ target (i386, ppc) ?
(if you didn’t checked that already)

Thanks for that suggestion. When I go to Project->Set Active Architecture I get no options. When I edit the project settings->build->architectures I see nothing for ‘Architectures’ and ppc64 ppc7400 i386, x86_84 ppc are listed under Valid Architecture. When I double click on ‘Architectures’ it just asks me if I want to build for 64 or 32 bit arch. I select 32bit and $(ARCHS_STANDARD_32_BIT) appears in the ‘Architectures’ file. Tying to build with this doesn’t help at all. Another thing I’ve noticed is that no matter what changes I make to the Audio Plugin Demo all the ‘Save’ options in Xcode are disabled? Shouldn’t a change in the project settings enable the save options?

Did you ever find a solution to this? I’m having exactly the same problem with the JuceDemoPlugin project from version 1.51. Any ideas?

Bennie

Just in case anyone else runs into this problem, I eventually “fixed” this by removing juce_AU_resources.r from the build resources build phase in the XCode project, attempting a build, sticking it back in there and attempting another build. Thank you XCode.