How to catch an error in KnownPluginList::scanAndAddFile()?

When opening the Sylenth1 plugin in debug mode i get an error that this is not possible and the Juce application is not usable anymore:

Attempting to load VST: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Sylenth1.vst
2017-04-14 17:56:02.985652 JuceGui[69656:10212801] CFUserNotificationDisplayAlert: called from main application thread, will block waiting for a response.
*** Leaked objects detected: 1 instance(s) of class ModuleHandle
JUCE Assertion failure in juce_LeakedObjectDetector.h:97

My question is: Can i catch such a message from the VST plugin when trying to open it without having to restart the whole application? I use the following code, where the error happens in the bold line:
> KnownPluginList plist;
> OwnedArrayjuce::PluginDescription pluginDescriptions;
> juce::VSTPluginFormat format;
> plist.scanAndAddFile(synth->pluginPath, true, pluginDescriptions, format);
> if (pluginDescriptions.size() > 0) { … }

Neither a try/catch nor JUCE_TRY seem to help here. Internally Juce tries to instantiate that VST plugin, whereat any error is not propagated to my code so that i have the possibility to catch it.

Thanks for your help and how i can make my code more safe.

I haven’t found a way to have TRY/CATCH work in a separate thread

I did start another forum thread a few weeks ago here which may be a good central place to discuss this topic.

I have a separate process doing the scanning and I’ve devised a method for the calling app to restart the scanner tool if it detects no activity for a set period… (and the scanner picks up from where it left off) but no method of actually trapping any exceptions.

Rail

Thank you Rail!
Good to know i’m not alone with that problem :slight_smile:
If there’s nothing to catch for us i think such a problem should be catched safely by the Juce framework and then propagated to our calling line.
But let’s see if the creators of Juce have another idea or opinion…