Indie VST Developer Expectations

I think PACE don’t show pricing because they tend to setup custom deals dependant on the arrangement with them, there’s just too many variables for them to have a set price for everything.

What do you mean by meat and potatoes? GarageBand and others tries to make it accessible, but at some point the folks want to advance to the same power tools that the professionals use, and then it’s hard, and indeed it is catered to professionals, by definition. But isn’t it like that in any field? It’s also hard to transition from Excel to C++.

When I was in uni studying IT, there was a class called Human Computer Interfaces or something like that. It was all about the art and science of increasing the intuitiveness of apps. It’s a mix of design, psychology and other fields. And a guy gave a talk about this at the JUCE conference in 2017.

But I don’t see many people adopting this philosophy. And it doesn’t make sense. We know that most plugins don’t sell very well, so a new developer has nothing to lose in trying to be innovative. But instead the common philosophy is to just copy other designs that have sold well before.

This idea that we have a binary choice between beginners tools and expert tools is just not true. There’s a lot of room in between.

This idea that we have a binary choice between beginners tools and expert tools is just not true. There’s a lot of room in between.

This is true. Although I think most released music is made using “expert” DAWS and tools, there have also been entire genres spawned from people making music with “beginners” tools. For example, Grime was born from people making beats on their Playstations with Music 2000; Lots of the guys making early dubstep were using Reason and Fruity Loops (they often had good mastering engineers doing the final push and polish!)