Introduction and a question about (VST) .dll hInstance/hModule

Hi Forum, my Name’s Andreas and I’m a developer at brainworx. Besides product development, I also assist our 3rd party program manager in supporting our 3rd party developers within Plugin Alliance.

Some of our current 3Ps use JUCE, which is why I joined this forum.

We recently came across the issue of needing to obtain the hInstance/hModule of the current .dll for integrating code from our framework. In our own plugins, we implement DllMain, which gets the hInstance from the host.

Am I correct in assuming that JUCE handles this via the VST wrapper? Is there a possibility using JUCE functions/data structures to obtain the hInstance of the current DLL? I was only able to give the JUCE framework a cursory glance so far, so it would be great if somebody could point me in the right direction.

I was able to solve the issue using the undocumented hack described in https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20041025-00/?p=37483 but I`m wondering if JUCE offers a better (i.e. more “official”) way to accomplish this?

Best regards
Andreas Schröder

How about Process::getCurrentModuleInstanceHandle() ?

Thanks Jules, just checked the implementation to see if that’s what I was looking for, but apparently that only works if currentModuleHandle is set, i.e. if setCurrentModuleInstanceHandle is called (in DllMain). Does the VST wrapper take care of that?

This is the DllMain in the VST 2 wrapper (VST 3 looks to have the same implementation as well).

extern "C" BOOL WINAPI DllMain (HINSTANCE instance, DWORD reason, LPVOID)
{
    if (reason == DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH)
        Process::setCurrentModuleInstanceHandle (instance);

return true;
}

Thanks a lot Jules and Anthony, I tried it in the demo project I got from our 3P and it works (of course :slight_smile:) I’ll validate that this fixes our 3Ps problem and let you know, but from all I’ve seen so far I’m convinced that it will.

Best regards,
Andreas

I forgot to mention it, but of course, that did indeed solve the problem we were having, so thanks again for the help.

Best regards,
Andreas