iOS Bug: Button Shortcut not working (Example inside)

Button::addShortcut works on Mac, but not on iOS. Please see the attached example. Focus the text editor, then press the Return key (on iOS using the on-screen keyboard). When you do it on the Mac, the OK button gets clicked. On iOS, nothing happens.

The reason seems to be that it relies on Button::CallbackHelper::keyStateChanged to be called. NSViewComponentPeer does that, whereas UIViewComponentPeer doesn’t. But I didn’t look into the internals for too long.

It would be great to get this fixed :slight_smile: I’m on JUCE commit ccbcc41b.

ReturnKeyTest.zip (5.3 KB)

1 Like

Bump

0 Likes

I don’t think this is a bug. I can’t think of any iOS apps in which pressing the return key on the soft keyboard emulates a button press and in the example that you provided the expected behaviour would be that the return key adds a newline to the editor. There is no key handling code in the iOS ComponentPeer and I’m not sure it’s something we’d want to add.

0 Likes

Thanks for looking into this!

in the example that you provided the expected behaviour would be that the return key adds a newline to the editor.

I would like to create an Ok/Cancel dialog with a text input, and the user should be able to confirm the dialog from the on-screen keyboard, as usual on iOS. I should have made the text field smaller (single-line) to make it more clear.

Meanwhile I found a way to do it, using TextEditor::Listener::textEditorReturnKeyPressed.

Would it be possible to customize the on-screen keyboard’s UIReturnKeyType to something like UIReturnKeyDone? I understand that that’s somewhat platform-specific, but so is TextInputTarget::VirtualKeyboardType.

0 Likes

This is actually a very common option for iOS. For example check out the Remote App that controls your AppleTV. There is a Go/Enter button that allows you to Enter data.

0 Likes

That feels a bit too platform-specific to live in the TextEditor class. The VirtualKeyboardType is at least used on both iOS and Android but I can’t see an equivalent to UIReturnKeyType on Android.

0 Likes