IPAddress::getInterfaceBroadcastAddress for ipv4/Win32

Hi!

Here an implementation proposal for missing IPAddress::getInterfaceBroadcastAddress on Win32.

This now only support ipv4.

Hopping this can helps:

struct ConvertLengthToIpv4MaskHelper
{
  bool callConvertLengthToIpv4Mask(ULONG maskLength)
  {
    DynamicLibrary dll("iphlpapi.dll");
    JUCE_LOAD_WINAPI_FUNCTION(dll, ConvertLengthToIpv4Mask, convertLengthToIpv4Mask, NETIO_STATUS, (ULONG, PULONG))

if (convertLengthToIpv4Mask == nullptr)
        return false;

return convertLengthToIpv4Mask(maskLength, &mask) == NO_ERROR;
  }

ULONG mask;
};

IPAddress IPAddress::getInterfaceBroadcastAddress (const IPAddress& interfaceAddress)
{
    if (interfaceAddress == IPAddress()) // null ip address (0.0.0.0, 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 or ::)
      return broadcast(); // return broadcast for any interface 
    if (interfaceAddress == local(false))
      return local(false);
    if (interfaceAddress == local(true))
      return local(true);

// TODO IPv6

GetAdaptersAddressesHelper addressesHelper;

if (addressesHelper.callGetAdaptersAddresses())
    {
      for (PIP_ADAPTER_ADDRESSES adapter = addressesHelper.adaptersAddresses; adapter != nullptr; adapter = adapter->Next)
      {
        for (auto addr = adapter->FirstUnicastAddress; addr != nullptr; addr = addr->Next)
        {
          if (addr->Address.lpSockaddr->sa_family == AF_INET && MACAddressHelpers::createAddress((sockaddr_in*)addr->Address.lpSockaddr) == interfaceAddress)
          {
            ConvertLengthToIpv4MaskHelper convertLengthToIpv4MaskHelper;

if (convertLengthToIpv4MaskHelper.callConvertLengthToIpv4Mask(addr->OnLinkPrefixLength))
            {
              ULONG mask = ~convertLengthToIpv4MaskHelper.mask;
              IPAddress maskIp = IPAddress(reinterpret_cast<const juce::uint8* >(&mask));

IPAddress res = interfaceAddress;
              for (size_t i = 0; i < 4; ++i)
                res.address[i] |= maskIp.address[i];
              return res;
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }

return {};
}
2 Likes

Intersting.

I had to do the same a couple weeks ago and already opened a pull request too.

Curious that this hasn’t been implemented yet, doesn’t seem like a big deal to me (at least I don’t have any problems with my implementation, works as expected and yours seems to do the job too… and i have no idea what I’m doing when it’s on a lower leven than juce). Or am I wrong and there are intricacies to this that I don’t see?

Hi benediktsailer,

Indeed your implementation seems to do the jobs too.
Just note that GetAdaptersInfo is deprecated in favor of GetAdaptersAddresses.

I think no one is impacted by this missing function except juce::NetworkServiceDiscovery, that should not works properly on Win32.

My Win32 software need getInterfaceBroadcastAddress, that is why I implement it.

May be Ipv6 support should be done to grant a Juce merge…
RFC.

All the best.

NB2: Your implementation do not iterate on pAdapter->IpAddressList.IpAddress.Next->
So you will miss adapter IP alias defined like that:

All the best

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the hint! Software is about to ship soon, i didn’t catch that yet :slight_smile:

Also yes, the NetworkServiceDiscovery is impacted for sure. That’s how i found out this was missing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have also needed an implementation for this and ended up rolling my own as well for IPV4. @alexdlabs Did you ever create a pull request for your implementation? My implementation is similar to yours with GetAdaptersAddresses and iterating the unicast addresses.

Would be awesome if we could maybe get more eyes on the code and see if it could be pulled into JUCE.

1 Like

Hi TimArt,

I’m not used to create pull request for Juce because I join the community long time ago:
When talking to Julian on this forum was enough to modify the Juce code.

I just discover that many pull request was open and specially last year.
May be you can open this one for me.

IpV6 support missing code will also be appreciated.

Regards

1 Like