Issue with FilenameComponent

I’m noticing something strange with FilenameComponent. When I browse for a file everything works Ok. My listener method is triggered and I can retrieve the name of the file. But whenever I remove all text from the FilenameComponent, and hit return, FIlenameComponent::getCurrentFileText() return the previous file’s parent directory, minus the last file name. My FilenameComponent is a child of a PropertyComponent in case that makes any difference. Anyone got any ideas?

Here’s two simple files that you can drop into a jucer project that illustrate the problem.
MainComponent.cpp (1.0 KB)
MainComponent.h (1.8 KB)

Should I change this from ‘issue’ to ‘bug’?

Sorry to bump, but as usual, I only wish to know if this is expected behaviour. If so I’ll look for a workaround. If not I’ll wait for a fix.

Hmmm… not really sure if this is intended or a bug. If you press backspace and then type in a name, it changes the subpath of the last parent path which does seem useful. It could be that some apps rely on this behaviour. Jules?

I get that getCurrentFile() should always returns a file, but the docs state that getCurrentFileText() “Returns the raw text that the user has entered.” So I’m kind of confused again.

Well for me it always returns the text that is in the combo box text field. The FilenameComponent will immediately modify what ever the user enters - so I think the behaviour is expected. Maybe the documentation should say “Returns the raw text of the combo box text field” or similar…

For me it doesn’t always return what is in the combobox. If I remove all the text from the combobox getCurrentFileText() still returns some text. In the following screencast I browse for a file. Then I remove all text and hit return. As you can see from the Logger output in the terminal, although the combobox is now empty, I still get text returned. This doesn’t happen when you try it?

I’m also seeing some odd behaviour here…

In my ctor I initialize it as:

m_PathComp ("PathComp", String(), false, true, true, String(), String(), String())

in my init list.

I then add the recent paths to the FilenameComponent:

String szLastPath = getAppProperties().getUserSettings()->getValue ("SaveOptionsRecentFile1", String());

m_PathComp.setCurrentFile (szLastPath, false, NotificationType::dontSendNotification);

for (int i = 1; i < 6; ++i)
    {
    String keyName = "SaveOptionsRecentFile" + String (i + 1);

String szPath = getAppProperties().getUserSettings()->getValue (keyName, String());

if (szPath.isNotEmpty())
        m_PathComp.addRecentlyUsedFile (File (szPath));
    }

but when filenameBox is cleared it triggers an AsynchUpdate which in turn triggers

void FilenameComponent::comboBoxChanged (ComboBox*)
{
    setCurrentFile (getCurrentFile(), true);
}

to be called which adds the current working directory to the comboBox (which isn’t desired).

Thanks,

Rail

Okay…

Changing my second param to true fixes it…

m_PathComp.setCurrentFile (szLastPath, true, NotificationType::dontSendNotification);

Rail