JUCE 6 Released

Doesn’t work for me. It shows Pro 4 and Pro 6. My Pro 5 vanished. We’ve purchased 5 Pro perpetual licenses about three months ago but never “activated” them (we had three pro subscriptions, so we didn’t care). Now that 6 is out, we’ve purchased three perpetual ones of those. But it only shows Pro 4 and Pro 6 in our account.

Congrats on the release!

On 14 June I purchased a Juce 5 perpetual Indie license, with the understanding that when Juce 6 was released I would be able to upgrade to Juce 6 perpetual and only pay the difference in cost between the two licenses ($100).

How can I take advantage of that upgrade price? In the Shop am only offered the regular 30% discount.

In my Account, I see the same as is shown in @DavidCNAntonia’s screenshot: my Juce 5 license, and a Juce 6 personal license with the option to “convert to an educational license”.

EDIT: Sorted by email. Thanks!

I have used the GUI Editor to build relatively complex Callout Box interfaces for development such as the one attached. I consider it essential. When I upgraded to JUCE 6.0 the gui editor disappeared from my projects.
Is there a way to get it back in 6.0 ?
On another point, something that has been at the very top of my JUCE feature ‘Wish List’ would be native mp4 AAC audio playback support under Windows. I can live without the encoder but the lack of mp4 AAC playback support under Windows is a significant limitation.
Is there a ‘Feature Wish List’ site where users can register and up vote suggested features for JUCE ?

It’s disabled by default in the JUCE 6 Projucer, but you can enable it via the “Tools” menu.

We have the feature requests category here on the forum where you can submit requests and other users can upvote them. We prioritise features for the roadmap based on votes.

2 Likes

Congrats to the release! I have just upgraded my plugin to JUCE 6 and almost everything looks fine. One thing though: the drag and drop behavior within FL studio has changed. I did not alter anything else and could do a before / after test: before the upgrade drag and drop from the FL Studio file browser to the plugin was recognized. Now it is not anymore. Drag and drop within the plugin works fine. Also in the standlone version there does not seem to be an issue. Any ideas?

I also have the same “Convert to educational” issue as others, seems like it might be a widespread problem?

I think the confusion here is coming from the fact that the activation of a licence and the purchase of a licence are two separate things.

When you purchase a subscription or a perpetual licence then the JUCE account with that email address will be able to administer that licence (change the subscription, change the allocation of serials to users). But if you have only activated a licence then you don’t have access to the purchaser’s information.

If this case applies to you, and you wish to combine the two accounts, then please contact support@juce.com.

All JUCE accounts are automatically granted a JUCE 6 Personal licence, which can be converted to/from an Educational licence depending on which terms you fall under. As mentioned in the OP, existing JUCE 5 subscription holders will not be automatically upgraded to JUCE 6 subscriptions so you will not see a JUCE 6 licence in your account until you have either upgraded your current subscription via https://juce.com/account/subscription/edit or purchased a JUCE 6 perpetual licence.

1 Like

Ah, right that makes total sense, I purchased the license using one email address, but activated it on another (my existing JUCE forum account email). I will contact support anyway to discuss how to move forward as I was thinking about changing which address receives the invoices anyway, so it’s a slightly unusual scenario.

Houston, We Have a Problem - When I enable the GUI Editor, it wipes out ALL of my existing components! They appear to be GONE from the Code Window. That’s on ALL my existing projects with the GUI Editor!

1 Like

IMPORTANT ISSUE !
Projucer 6.0 Issue With Existing WYSIWYG GUI Projects.
Enabling the GUI editor in the new Projucer will completely wipe out any prebuilt components and related code. If the project is saved, all this prior info is lost for good unless you have a backup. This could cause a lot of people a lot of grief if like me they invest quite a bit of time building these interfaces.

Well, of course I hope all of us know better than not to use source control, but, I have the exact same issue and it’s annoying. I’m not planning to build another plug-in with the GUI editor but the one I have now is kind of huge (internal R&D thingie of ours) and we really need to keep it afloat for a good while longer. So for now I switched back to 5.x, which isn’t a big deal because I’m talking to a fully self-contained engine, but I’m still curious about the new fixes and features of course.

Don’t support you can add paypal as a payment option, or accept GBP or Euro? Would like to avoid a currently shitty conversion due to the weak pound…

2 Likes

Thanks for flagging this one. I can see what the problem is: since we now need to add explicit juce:: namespaces to all of the generated code, the logic that parses the GUI editor file on disk and reloads it’s content is expecting to see juce:: prefixes. These aren’t present in GUI editor code from previous Projucer versions and therefore the custom code isn’t being recalled. The file won’t be changed on disk until you save the project or file in the Projucer. We’ll work on getting a fix for this.

2 Likes

Congratulations!

My wish for the upcoming features of JUCE would be more improvements in UI and graphical performances features. Keywords: Vulkan / Metal.

It’s 2020. We have enough power for more eyecandy.

Unfortunately every time I consider to add more pleasing visual effects to the UI (particles, animation) it’s just not feasible at the moment. It keeps coming back to: “Oh. Better not do this, the JUCE Graphics/OpenGL renderer is not suited fo that.”

Comparing this and the visuals of the games industry it’s a bit disappointing.
But let’s be optimistic and hope JUCE will improve . Make it possible PACE ! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Congratulations!

I think now is a perfect opportunity to say how grateful I am for what Jules and all of you have accomplished with JUCE over the years. Virtually everything I learned about modern C++ was initiated by working with the Juce library. I think everyone here can appreciate what it means to survive and thrive in an exotic niche market that is primarily driven by passion and enthusiasm. Keep it up! You are great.

7 Likes

There is a fix for this now on the develop branch. You’ll need to re-compile the Projucer after pulling the latest changes. We’ll be doing a point-release early next week so the fix will make its way onto the master branch and website downloads then.

1 Like

Thanks!

Lacy

I am so very excited about this!!
This is a good excuse to stop writing code for business types and to spend some time doing something creative !!! Thanks for the lovely library !!!

1 Like

You have done a phenomenal job! I was able to upgrade without a single issue. I remember when JUCE5 was released. You have improved so much! Keep it up!

2 Likes

Ed,

I’ve just noticed that in all of my projects with

the GUI Editor enabled, the cursor is missing in

the editor .cpp file. All other files including the

editor .h file have the cursor visible.

I can click and edit in the file, I just can’t tell

where I am because the cursor is not visible.

This is in the 6.0.1 Projucer.

Thanks.

Lacy