JUCE 8?

MIDI 2.0 device and UMP support will not be part of the first public preview of JUCE 8, and we have not been communicating that to anyone. The features that will be included in the initial release have been fixed for a while, and we had demos of each of them, so it should have been quite clear what they were.

We will work on MIDI 2.0 device and UMP support after the initial release of JUCE 8. We have done quite a lot of the required work already.

Where can we find those demos? I wasn’t aware of them until now.

If you do encounter missing features or issues in the Windows API, compared to the already final macOS/iOS/Android/Linux MIDI 2.0 APIs

I don’t think Android has the final MIDI 2.0 API. Android 13 only added support for USB MIDI 2.0 API, not for anything else e.g. software MidiDeviceService. For more details, see Google Issue Tracker

They will come up with some API updates, which I guess would be a totally refresh one.

So I agree with @t0m , it’s best to wait for the final platform MIDI 2.0 APIs and then prepare for the finalized JUCE API.

At the NAMM booth on a laptop.

1 Like

We will work on MIDI 2.0 device and UMP support after the initial release of JUCE 8. We have done quite of a lot of the required work already.

Thanks for the quick clarification.

They will come up with some API updates, which I guess would be a totally refresh one.
So I agree with @t0m , it’s best to wait for the final platform MIDI 2.0 APIs and then prepare for the finalized JUCE API.

Thanks Atsushi for bringing that up, I wasn’t aware of that. From the link, it looks like you raised that issue to Google way back in April 2022. We are coming up to two years now and there is no resolution in sight. We may be waiting a long long time for everything to be “final” on every single platform.

Phil Burk (Google) was on the Network MIDI 2.0 panel at NAMM yesterday. I didn’t see him around today but if he is back at NAMM tomorrow, I will see if there is any progress on the issue you raised.

We are coming up to two years now and there is no resolution in sight.

Well, there had been no updates because (I would say) MIDI 2.0 was not really finalized enough for platforms until June 2023 Updates. It’s only half a year after that, so I guess folks behind those platforms are still working on it in fair amount of time (e.g. Windows MIDI Service is still under development, whilst Pete could “demonstrate” the latest build which is not stable yet). Apple CoreMIDI was (as far as I heard from others) not really stable until Sonoma either. Pete says Windows MIDI Service will be ready this year, so I guess 2024 would be the year for the platforms (not to mention JUCE support, it’s up to the team.)

Apologies to those that I communicated that MIDI 2.0 would be available in the first public preview. I was wrong and I apologise for that. As discussed above we are somewhat at the mercy of the APIs for each of the platforms, hopefully we can get MIDI 2.0 support in shortly after JUCE 8 is released.

8 Likes

I’m surprised this thread isn’t popping off! I’m very curious to learn more details about the webview feature (how it integrates with state management, etc…). Will there be more info on this soon?

4 Likes