Juce Accessibility

It feels like nobody on the JUCE team has done accessibility work before or worked with users who require accessibility features. The afterthought/evasive attitude towards including any sort of accessibility in JUCE is somewhat disturbing.

As stated by Apple in their accessibility docs:

You should make your iPhone application accessible to VoiceOver users because:

• It increases your user base. You’ve worked hard to create a great application; don’t miss the opportunity to make it available to even more users.
  • It allows people to use your application without seeing the screen. Users with visual impairments can use your application with the help of VoiceOver.
  • It helps you address accessibility guidelines. Various governing bodies create guidelines for accessibility and making your iPhone application accessible to VoiceOver users can help you meet them.
  • It’s the right thing to do.

Emphasis on the last element mine - if ROLI/JUCE team is purely playing a numbers game (cost/time/etc.) by skipping accessibility, think of the tremendous impact it could possibly have given the massive amount of music software/plugins built with JUCE.

I’m off school for a few weeks for Christmas break, I’ll see what I can whip up per @yfede’s suggestion…

5 Likes