float b;
    float c = 0.0f;
    float d{};

float e = 1.0f;
    float f {1.0f};
    float g { 1.0f };
};

It seems you went for c/e lately?

Yep, c/e is the preferred way of doing things.

Not fancying those curly braces then?

Makes it look too much like a function declaration for my taste. (Obviously for non-primitive types you do have to use curly braces).

e.g.

bool foo1 { true };          // variable
bool foo2 { return true; }   // function

As far as I know, doesn’t make any difference for primitive types like floats whether the assignment or the curly braces are used. (For more complicated types I’ve encountered cases where a compiler didn’t want to accept using = to initialize the members.)

Fair enough.

int magicFunction(int magicNumber);
int magicNumber{10};

Sort of - only the literals make it really obvious for me…and I’ve got the auto formatter set up so things look like this with a bit of spacing in there.

int magicFunction(int magicNumber);
int magicNumber{ 10 };

Looks like a fuck up not a function that one :wink:

edit: a fucktion?

oh yeah, whoops. Well, you know what I meant :slight_smile:

Yeah but they are a bit more distinct now :wink:

bool foo1 { true };          // variable
bool foo2() { return true; }   // function

And a function is just a funny kind of variable anyway :wink:

Still in your defence. I do think the equals states what’s going on more clearly than braces. But if the C++ tide is drifting towards braces I don’t know if want to stand in its way

How much is the decision c/e reasoning and/or how much is it taste?

I must admit I like a better as all initialisation is in one place whereas c/e can lead to the initialisations being cluttered in the class declaration.

Yeah, I understand. Really don’t like the look of code that’s just full of braces though, It just all starts looking like LISP…

a is cumbersome when you have multiple constructors which all require variables to be initialised in the same way. c and later are more DRY.

‘a’ is just bloody horrible. Init order is much easier to manage with the initalizers all next to the definitions…

It will also save you if you forget to initialise a member.

There is one key difference between using = and { } in that the latter will emit narrowing errors at compile time so is safer. You may be lucky enough to get a compiler warning for a conversion but having the build break is more secure in my opinion.