JUCE for low-level?

What if I wanted to use JUCE to write a kernel module or device driver, not for employment purposes; but because I think low-level stuff is neat. Could I do it?
I used SourceTrail to visualize the entire library and found that all JUCE currently is a set of pakaged up wrappers around the sound and graphics device APIs. In the past having been curious about what JUCE was actually doing, I found myself going down this same rabbit hole of wanting direct control over the hardware, just for personal enjoyment. I also think embedded stuff like AxeFX are really interesting. What should I use if not JUCE for my lower-level programming fix? Could I push JUCE onto a Blackfin MCU?

Juce is not going to be useful for kernel/driver-level development. You might not even be able to use C++ there anyway.

Thanks. It’s really just something I want for personal experience. I don’t mean to upset anyone.

Two thoughts:

There are quite a few interesting embedded platforms that allow you low level I/O stuff etc while still running an embedded linux. JUCE works well with that kind of targets, I used it for an example for signal processing on an FPGA/ARM SoC with some of the processing performed in custom FPGA logic. So for that kind of low-level applications JUCE is totally suitable.

When it comes to targets where juce is not usable, e.g. some DSPs, kernel stuff, having learned to code with JUCE might still help you, as JUCE is a great example for really clean code, superior to a lot of freaky low level C code you‘ll find out there. So with some JUCE experience, chances are good that even your pure C code will become cleaner :wink:

3 Likes