JUCE forum hijacking all search shortcuts (CTRL + F and /)

I think it’s a new anti-feature of the JUCE forum, that all browser shortcuts for “search in page” functionality are captured and redirected into the forum’s search function.

I consider “search in page” functionality an essential feature. Even if I arrive in a thread after a search, I may want to quickly locate the keyword I am looking for in a lengthy thread.

There are very few websites that hijack such basic browser shortcuts, so I believe a lot of power users depend on the ability to search in the contents of the currently loaded page. Now I have to find the feature in the browser menus, which I haven’t had to do since forever.

Not even google.com does this, the sole purpose of which site is searching.

Please consider fixing this.

2 Likes

It’s not possible to remove that from Discourse (the forum software we’re using).

1 Like

FWIW it works perfectly on Mac (Firefox).

And thanks, I didn’t know the “/” shortcut, very helpful. That one opens the forum search while CMD+F does the normal search on the page.

1 Like

On Windows you can use F3 (find next) and at least on Firefox it will open the search box.

1 Like

Same with Chrome on Mac

You can do Ctrl + F twice in any system, the first Ctrl + F opens the forum search, the second closes it and opens the browser search

github does the same (highjacking the ‘/’ key), I absolutely hate it.