Juce mp3 playback and licensing?

I was wondering about, what the legal implications of mp3 playback in juce? How does this all tie in with juce, do I still need to purchase a license from technicolor just to decode mp3? How does juce handle mp3 playback? Thanks

I stay well clear from offering any advice about legal issues like that! The code’s in there, but I’ll leave it up to you to decide what to do with it!

Good move, Jules.

I personally use the mpg123 library - it gets more of the metadata. Someone, perhaps even me, wrote a Juce interface to the library and it’s here. You would of course need to have the mpg123 libraries as well - and this code only reads mp3s, it doesn’t write them.

In practice, the owners of the patent appear to have freely allowed people to read the format, but seem to want money when you write mp3s from a commercial application. I Am Not A Lawyer, but I wouldn’t worry too much about it if you’re only reading mp3s or if you’re a non-commercial or very small distribution application.

(I’m against software patents in general, but the patent on mp3s are more reasonable than most such patents - because there’s serious content there, a lot of research and a successful attempt to use that patent in real-world products. Again, I Am Not A Lawyer.)