juce_use_opengl_fixed_function

Hi all,

What is the purpose of JUCE_USE_OPENGL_FIXED_FUNCTION define?

and, on the other hand, why does it not appear

[list][color=#BF0000]void OpenGLHelpers::setColour (const Colour& colour)
void OpenGLHelpers::prepareFor2D (const int width, const int height)
void OpenGLHelpers::setPerspective (double fovy, double aspect, double zNear, double zFar)
void OpenGLHelpers::applyTransform (const AffineTransform& t)
void OpenGLHelpers::applyMatrix (const float matrixValues[16])
…[/color][/list]
In doxygen generated web? (at least, to me)

Thank you,
Gabriel

It enables some GL calls that are only available in old versions of GL that support the fixed-function pipeline. TBH I’ll probably get rid of it soon, as the future of GL is clearly all shader-based.

So, Jules, the future new version of Tracktion will be UI OpenGL based, for instance?
Juce Graphics context calss will be OpenGl based?

If so, when do you have intention to start it?

[quote=“Leirbag”]So, Jules, the future new version of Tracktion will be UI OpenGL based, for instance?
Juce Graphics context calss will be OpenGl based?

If so, when do you have intention to start it?[/quote]

I have already tried running tracktion using the GL renderer, and yes, it works pretty well - faster for some things, slower for others. Might offer it as an option in future.

But, correct me if I am wrong:

I think one of the fine details that a DAW would have and the customers directly or indirectly appreciate is that the wave clips shown in the UI and especially the time line cursor would not go in a stumbling way. This fault is more noticeable if you spend 8 hours per day working on a DAW with this flaw. And so far, all the DAW I know have this flaw, except one (a British one by the way, ask me if you want to know what it is)

So, and this is my question Jules, The OpenGl double buffering functionality would avoid that?
Moreover, The CPU will work more relaxed due the load added to the GPU, isn’t it?

Gabriel

[quote]So, and this is my question Jules, The OpenGl double buffering functionality would avoid that?
Moreover, The CPU will work more relaxed due the load added to the GPU, isn’t it?[/quote]

No… it’s really not that simple. Drawing waveforms smoothly isn’t just about the graphics, it’s also about how you buffer and handle the data. I’m in the middle of re-writing tracktion’s waveforms and I can tell you that it’s really not a straightforward task!