Juce v1.46 Rtas odd graphics updates and flickering

Mac Os 10.5.6, Juce v1.46, Pro Tools 8 CS2

I compiled my plugin, load it on a channel and then click on one of the digidesign plugin left menus then there are lots of odd graphics redraw issues and flickering as shown in the image:

The image below draws over the image in the middle which then draws over that and flickers wildly.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Andrew Simper

Have you tried disabling the RepaintTimer trick as suggested by jpo in this thread: http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juceforum/viewtopic.php?t=3364

I haven’t done any testing on PT8 yet but this sounds like the behaviour I was getting in PT7.4 before I made that change.

Hope that helps,
Bennie

[quote=“bennie”]Have you tried disabling the RepaintTimer trick as suggested by jpo in this thread: http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juceforum/viewtopic.php?t=3364

I haven’t done any testing on PT8 yet but this sounds like the behaviour I was getting in PT7.4 before I made that change.

Hope that helps,
Bennie[/quote]
I can’t try the timer trick since I don’t have that code in my branch. I have since then updated to r595 and applied all the fixes that jpo has done plus quite a few of my own and all is looking good. One last fix I have to do is updating the timer class to use atomic memory boundaries instead of the volatile keyword on the boolean flag and then I will publish the results to a new branch called production_1_46.

Andrew Simper

When is production_1_46 likely to be ready - wouldn’t mind trying that out.
I’ve been keen to swap to juce for sometime but there was always been some show stopper from a production point of view that put me off.

Since Jules restored Carbon support to the main tip, how will production_1_46 differ from the tip? Will it have polymorphic plugins, or will it use the older style of compiling cross-platform plugs?

I am currently working with the tip, but will try out things with the production_1_46 branch when it arrives. I appreciate the work both on the tip and on the alternate branch.

[quote=“valhallasound”]Since Jules restored Carbon support to the main tip, how will production_1_46 differ from the tip? Will it have polymorphic plugins, or will it use the older style of compiling cross-platform plugs?

I am currently working with the tip, but will try out things with the production_1_46 branch when it arrives. I appreciate the work both on the tip and on the alternate branch.[/quote]

I have coded polymorphic plugins supported on mac, but I’m using Symbiosis for the Au since it supports multiple buses and Juce doesn’t. I have not supported polymorphic plugins at win since I can’t compile the RTAS version since I’m using VS2008 and need to jump through extra hoops to compile their code and not use their static libs which were made with VS2005. Other things I’ve done to the production_1_46 branch:

• Lock free dsp core with data and parameter passing
  • Fixed buffer allocation so there is no memory allocation in “process” which is a no go on some platforms
  • Memory barrier booleans instead of volatile in the timer code
  • Support for external sidechain in and aux outputs in RTAS
  • Async dialog boxes and popup menus and text edit boxes in new windows so you can always get key strokes no matter what host. Having these async means you never get crashes on quit.
  • Probably a few other things I can’t remember doing

I’ll get the production_1_46 branch to Jules to double check over by around 8th May. I’m busy at the moment doing some contract work and launching a web page which take priority over unpaid additions to Juce.

Andrew Simper

A bit late to this party, but… what’s the status of this production_1_46 branch? Did it ever get checked in? I might be missing something but I’m not seeing it on sourceforge svn. We’re using 1.46 right now (various reasons we can’t update at the moment), and would love to have access to these enhancements/fixes.