juce_win32_SystemStats.cpp issue [EDIT]

A user has reported an issue using an application of mine on his PC which runs fine on mine. The application is built with mingw 4.7.1. I know mingw isn't really supported, but I don't suppose anyone can suggest a quick fix before I go pulling things apart?

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
juce::HiResCounterHandler::HiResCounterHandler (this=this@entry=0x9d9280)
    at ../../JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_core/native/juce_win32_SystemStats.cpp:266
266             hiResTicksScaleFactor = 1000.0 / hiResTicksPerSecond;
(gdb) bt
#0  juce::HiResCounterHandler::HiResCounterHandler (this=this@entry=0x9d9280)
    at ../../JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_core/native/juce_win32_SystemStats.cpp:266
#1  0x005216f4 in __static_initialization_and_destruction_0 (
    __priority=65535, __initialize_p=1)
    at ../../JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_core/native/juce_win32_SystemStats.cpp
:296
#2  _GLOBAL__sub_I__ZN4juce12AbstractFifoC2Ei ()
    at ../../JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_core/juce_core.cpp:221
#3  0x006051ba in __do_global_ctors ()
warning: (Internal error: pc 0x62 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)
#4  0x00000063 in ?? ()
#5  0x0022fef8 in ?? ()
#6  0x7c817077 in RegisterWaitForInputIdle ()
   from C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll
#7  0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb)

Seems like a perfectly simple line of code to me - can't imagine what mingw is producing to mangle it..

The thing that baffles me the most is this:

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.

HiResCounterHandler (this=0x9cf230 <juce::hiResCounterHandler>)
266     ../../JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_core/native/juce_win32_SystemStats.cpp: No such file or directory.

I'm certain juce_win32_SystemStats.cpp is being compiled when I build. But this is the first thing that gdb spits out when I try to run the app on another machine? I'm about done with my mingw adventure I think. So close, but no cigar. 

[edit] this is nothing to do with mingw as building by hand results in a perfectly normal binary. Something is causing the make build to go barmy. Anyway, that's enough time spent on that.