List of Juce dependencies under linux

thanks vm for that info - i am finding the learning curve for building deb packages to be a bit steep for my purposes atm - for now i am using this ruby script fpm in a travis.yml script - this builds the deb package with some relatively simplistic params then uploads it to packagecloud all automated - quite nice really for a simple package - but one of the caveats is that you must specify dependencies explicitly or the package will have none

on a fresh install of trisquel 7.0 (an ubuntu derivative), the packages i needed to add in order to compile the Introjucer were:
  * libcurl4-openssl-dev
  * libx11-dev
  * libfreetype6-dev
  * libxrandr-dev
  * libxinerama-dev
  * libxcursor-dev

noticing two dependencies that were not previously mentioned in this thread, i add them here for completeness

Compiling juce_core.cpp
../../../../modules/juce_core/juce_core.cpp:90:26: fatal error: curl/curl.h: No such file or directory
    #include <curl/curl.h>
Compiling juce_gui_basics.cpp
../../../../modules/juce_gui_basics/juce_gui_basics.cpp:110:37: fatal error: X11/extensions/Xrandr.h: No such file or directory
    #include <X11/extensions/Xrandr.h>

here is an updated list of JUCE bulid dependencies:

sudo apt-get install freeglut3-dev g++ libasound2-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev            \
                     libfreetype6-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libx11-dev libxcomposite-dev \
                     libxcursor-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev mesa-common-dev

NOTE: as noted in an earlier post, libjack-dev now refers to JACK1 and is mutually exclusive with JACK2 - either one should work fine but one must choose - on my system i already have several packages that depend on JACK2 so i have replaced libjack-dev with libjack-jackd2-dev on this list
NOTE: libxrandr-dev replaces libxrender-dev in this list because libxrender-dev is a dependency of libxrandr-dev

Hi

How do i run it on freya?Tried your sticky but it didn't work

Thanks

Let me just add a link to a more recent post with required Linux dependencies for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:

http://forum.juce.com/t/juce-4-2-setup-on-ubuntu-studio-14-04-tls/17164

Thanks for the update !

apparently the new forum changed all spaces to &nbsp - so here is that list again:

sudo apt-get install freeglut3-dev g++ libasound2-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev            \
                     libfreetype6-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libx11-dev libxcomposite-dev \
                     libxcursor-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev mesa-common-dev
5 Likes

Hi All - Here is what just worked for me on Fedora 25:

dnf install alsa-lib-devel
dnf install libXinerama-devel
dnf install freetype-devel
dnf install libcurl-devel
dnf install gcc-c++
dnf install libXcomposite-devel
dnf install freeglut-devel
dnf install libXrandr-devel
dnf install libXcursor-devel

4 Likes

Perhaps you could add sudo apt-get install ladspa-sdk to this list?
I always come here when I create a new Linux VM and always forget ladspa until after a lengthy build!

dave96

the dependencies listed here only are the bare minimum for the base modules of any JUCE program - there are of course others that are needed only with certain additional modules - it would be nice to itemize them all in a table someday

1 Like

If you are using the WebBrowserComponent in juce_gui_extra then you’ll need to add webkit2gtk-4.0 and gtk+-x11-3.0 to the list.

Would be cool if there was a better way to manage this, like JUCE providing a folder with scripts in the repository that install all of the necessary libs for the distributions.

3 Likes

+1 great idea @jrlanglois

…or at least an up-to-date text file in the repo would be a start…
It is always nasty to search the forum for the most accurate list (I think to remember, that there were at least 3 threads with different lists and a long history to catch up each time)

1 Like

At the bare minimum, sure… I went straight for suggesting a script because this post, amongst others, already have a bash script going on:

Might as well go the whole way imo.

1 Like

@daniel

no need to search - thats why this thread was made sticky and i asked fabian to remove “ubuntu” from the original title so that other distros could be consolidated here and not scattered about

1 Like

For Raspberry Pi - no luck compiling in 5.01, had to roll back to 4.3.

Seems to work fine for me:

apt-get install clang freeglut3-dev g++ libasound2-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libfreetype6-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libx11-dev libxcomposite-dev libxcursor-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev mesa-common-dev webkit2gtk-4.0
cd JUCE/extras/Projucer/Builds/LinuxMakefile
make CXX=clang++ -j4
6 Likes

For the lazy, quick list update for a fresh OS installation:

sudo apt-get install clang git ladspa-sdk freeglut3-dev g++ libasound2-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libfreetype6-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libx11-dev libxcomposite-dev libxcursor-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev mesa-common-dev webkit2gtk-4.0 juce-tools
5 Likes

What’s that?

Wish I could give you a better answer, but I have no idea. For whatever reason, it was something that came up as needed during the process of building the Projucer.