Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro for iPad

The press release:

“Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro for iPad will be available on the App Store as subscriptions starting Tuesday, May 23.”

$4.99 per month or $49 per year.

Product pages:

“[Logic Pro] Requires compatible third-party Audio Unit Extensions from the App Store.”

3 Likes

Interesting! Wondering if I can bring my license key based licensing scheme to the App-Store, or I have to sell via the App Store. I don’t have any experience with the App Store, but I could imagine that the whole release process, or the provision of updates, will be more complicated as long as apple doesn’t accept side-loading. :exploding_head:
Does Apple offers free subscriptions for testing purposes @mfritze ?

It’s feasible but tricky…
As of now,
If you want to sell outside the app store you must avoid leading users outside your app to buy your product without the app store involved (on most territories at least).

And then you can use login to your website but then you must add “Sign with Apple” also on your website and comply with other requirements such as ability to delete user accounts.

3 Likes

This is interesting news … has anyone seen how this works with AUv3 plugins, yet? Can we move Logic Pro projects from iOS → MacOS with the same plugins and expect somewhat functional results?

1 Like

Great news. I’ve always found the App Store a much easier method of distribution. I will be interested to see how plugins transfer with files… E.g. will it just use app ID so that an AUv3 on iOS will be replaced with a standard AUv2 on Mac and vice versa? Or will it be the case that we need to distribute macOS AUv3 (this will be a pain for everyone’s application folder as AUv3’s are all packaged as an “app”). Or will it be the worst case that it will only work with AUv3 plugins bought from the iOS app store (which can run on apple silicon IF enabled in app store connect) - again, horrible for the application folder and also nasty if you tweak any UI in these versions to optimise for touch… iOS auv3 on silicon have been historically buggy.

All in all though… Very exciting… But don’t know enough yet! I wonder if apple will be doing a developer preview to ensure everything works… Garageband iOS can be … difficult…

Testing is done via TestFlight, the same way any developer for iOS tests apps. But if there will be an external seed, I do not know yet.

2 Likes

You definitely can’t take any money for anything that’s not sold on the appstore…

1 Like

(rumour is) Sideloading is supposedly coming to European devices with this year’s major iOS update. Annoying that it’s not everywhere as it’s just going to split the market

1 Like

If you do happen to hear of anything please keep us updated. Every iOS host I’ve tried seems to have slightly different behaviours so it would be great to have any potential compatibility issues ironed out before release - probably an unreasonable request but I’ve got to try! :joy:

Let’s not be hasty here. The EU legislation just passed a market rights law that requires Apple to open up the App Store restriction. If they do it globally, you’ll have a lot of alternatives. If they do it only for the European market, you might need to be creative.

1 Like

Now that Logic Pro for iPad is out,
I’ve been playing with it a little with it. but as it’s being used for… developing plug-in… I now don’t see my plug-in anymore. It shows up on GarageBand but not Logic Pro.

(I did reboot the device of course)

Is there anyway to ensure rescanning / why is GarageBand cache different than Logic Pro?

Answeing myself - (iPad) Settings → Logic Pro → Reset Logic Pro

2 Likes

Does anybody have an idea if there’s anything in JUCE to implement the Logic’s “tile view” thing properly? (That is at the very least expose the most important parameters instead of those that come first in the list.)

UPD: It seems like
(NSArray<NSNumber *> *)parametersForOverviewWithCount:(NSInteger count)
could be it, but currently it just returns the first count parameters.

4 Likes

I think you’ve found the AUv3 API that can be used for this purpose. There’s also a similar AUv2 API, kAudioUnitProperty_ParametersForOverview. At the moment this isn’t exposed for customisation.

6 Likes

Yes, the AUv3 API of course. Any plans to expose this?
(I guess with the release of Logic for iPad this small thing is going to be a big deal for everyone who makes plugins for iOS.)

4 Likes

I’ve found that in AUv3 running under Logic Pro for iOS … UIAlertController instances are never displayed.

No such issues in other hosts such as AUM.

Has anybody else found this? It is a real head-scratcher (to say the least!).

If I try subsequently, I get this in the Xcode log…

Attempt to present … <_UIViewServiceViewControllerOperator: 0x10500ee00> (from <_UIViewServiceViewControllerOperator: 0x10500ee00>) which is already presenting …

So that implies that the Alert Controller is presenting - but is invisible. This is … not good!

Pete

If I understand the problem correctly, I think the solution is to always present the dialog as attached to your editor directly.
Or perhaps I’m misunderstanding what you’re describing? This is how we’ve solved similar issues with FileChooser, etc.

1 Like

Thank you very much @eyalamir for trying to help!

It turns out that the problem was that there is a subtle difference in the way that the AUv3 UI is constructed in Logic iOS (compared to say AUM); and that meant that the UIViewController I was using to “present” the alert was off-screen somehow - and was certainly the wrong one (hence the alert wasn’t displayed).

I’ve been able to fix this now.

Hopefully this is a clue if anybody else sees the same issue!

Best wishes to all,

Pete