Midi to audio and back again

midi

Hi all,
I always run into problems recording audio and midi at the same time. I was wondering if there is an accurate way to record midi as an audio track. Midi could be converted in a standalone box to audio. One sample could be a midi note and the next sample could be the velocity. Once I have a lot of audio tracks in Cubase even just recording midi along introduces so much jitter and latency that it becomes useless. I have been using a 2nd computer and recording soft synths as audio. It’s the only way to get it in time. Sorry not really a JUCE question but I thought the answer might be floating around in someone’s heads up here … Sean

0 Likes

I think it could be done by converting MIDI to a PCM representation and tricking the OS into seeing the box as an audio device, the problem would be converting the pseudo-midi data back to MIDI on the fly and routing it in the DAW appropriately.

But this sounds like an OS problem. Do you see this on Windows?

0 Likes

Yes it’s an OSX problem and I think it’s getting worse. In the last couple of years.
Hopefully once the DAW has recorded the midi as audio it could then convert it offline to midi so I could trigger soft synths with it or send midi out and rerecord audio out of the ancient boxes.

0 Likes