Missing framerates

Can I suggest that the high framerates used by Pro Tools (and some high profile films) are added to the enum?

/** Frame rate types. */
enum FrameRateType
{
    fps23976        = 0,
    fps24           = 1,
    fps25           = 2,
    fps2997         = 3,
    fps30           = 4,
    fps2997drop     = 5,
    fps30drop       = 6,
    fps60           = 7,
    fps60drop       = 8,
    fps47952        = 9,
    fps48           = 10,
    fps50           = 11,
    fps5994         = 12,
    fps5994drop     = 13,
    fps100          = 16,
    fps11988        = 17,
    fps11988drop    = 18,
    fps120          = 19,
    fps120drop      = 20,
    fpsUnknown      = 99
};

TBH, I wish that wasn’t an enum but a small structure that had a flag to know if it’s a drop rate or not, and that the frame-rate value wasn’t fixed.

Regardless, you have mistakes in there: 59.94 is 60 fps with a dropped frame (fps60drop). Likewise for 47.952 (which should be fps50drop), 119.99, etc.

No, that list is perfectly correct.
59.94 has nothing to do with drop frame. It is 60fps running at ntsc speed.
drop frame is just a numbering system and can be applied to any of the multiple-of-30 timebases, but none of the others.
This is a common mis-understanding.

That is the list which is necessary to work with Pro Tools framerates.

Hey,
It seems proper AAX SDK is now out so can we have this added :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That would be amazing. +1

No. There’s an updated aax sdk that supports new frame rates above which are used by some developers.

Thanks for your patience.

I’ve overhauled the framerate type so that it can represent a broader range of rates:

All the wrappers that are framerate-aware now use this new framerate representation:

Please try out these changes and let us know if you run into any unexpected behaviour.

3 Likes

Fantastic, thankyou kindly.

Hi, warming it up.

I just tried it on current Protools, Apple Silicon and Intel and I get only framerates up to 30. Everything beyond is divided and again is reported as something between 23.976 and 30. What am I doing wrong?

Best,

Thomas

@reuk Could you please check why the above mentioned phenomenon in Pro Tools is happening? For AAX there is support for higher frame rates in juce, but for some reason it doesn’t get through.

Thanks for reporting. It looks like the higher frame-rates are only reported when using the new GetHDTimeCodeInfo API. I’ll push that change shortly.

Don’t forget to check for AAX_ERROR_UNIMPLEMENTED as return value, then use the old method GetTimeCodeInfo() instead

Support for higher framerates in AAX plugins is added here:

1 Like