Need some example code

I’ve written a table based oscillator class. Yay me!
Right now it can do a saw and a sin using simple algos, but I would like to use a more versatile approach.

So, I am thinking of using the binary builder to source-ify single cycle wav files, and have the class load one of them into the table at creation. Brilliant, if I may say so. I suspect its simple.

'Cept I don’t know how exactly.

So, given this set up (roughly):

int TableSize = 512;
        float * table  =   (float*)malloc(TableSize * sizeof(float));

for(int i = 0; i < TableSize; i++){ 
            table[i] = [nab float from BB file here];
        }

How should I proceed?

This is tougher than I thought. The wav reading thingummy does not have a method equivalent to what the image thingummy has.

Maybe the easiest way would be to save the wave cycle files as ‘raw’ 16/44100 with zero header and tail, and try and piece the floats together from that…

So, as an alternate question to the original one:

How does one make a float from two chars?

(Answer: You put one in the backseat and one in the fridge.) :smiley:

And once again, a mere three hours after finding myself without a clue, I have worked my way to a solution!

float * raw = (float*)osc_tables::saw1_raw;

for(int i = 0; i < 1024; i++){
            table[i] = raw[i];
        }

I didn’t realize I could save raw files with 32bit floats. No tricky casting required.

Take a look at the MemoryInputStream class :wink:

Oh oh oh!

Is there even a reason to copy the tables? What if I just copy the pointer. The binary builder data is already on the heap, right?

Yes!

Check out This bad boy!

Just out of interest… why not just generate the data dynamically when the plugin is initialised?

Not criticising… just wondering.

[quote=“Pukeweed”]Oh oh oh!

Is there even a reason to copy the tables? What if I just copy the pointer. The binary builder data is already on the heap, right?[/quote]

probably no need - MemoryInputStream has an option to refer to static data.

I want waveforms that do not lend themselves to algorithmical generation, and I want a lot of them.
The synth I posted above reads the table directly from the static array that binary builder files create, and you can swap them on the fly easily enough.
The 6 waveforms added roughly 12 Kb to the exe so there is really no need to save space.

Also, I just like the workflow of making waveforms in a sample editor, and the compile them into a synth, and then see the same waveform come out the other end. Its like the circle of life or something.