NKS...sending to host

I’m trying to support NKS in my plugin and I’ve got most of it working, but I’m having a hard time figuring out how to query the host with a “hostCanDo” call, and then how to actually send note data to the host for the light guides.

Has anyone out there successfully implemented this?

There was a host callback method added, but only for VST2 I believe:

Yep. The VST3 counterpart is more complicated so it’s been shelved temporarily while we attend to some more urgent work.

For anyone else who’s trying to implement NKS, here’s some code that I used to send and receive from an NKS host (Maschine or Komplete Kontrol). It’s not 100% complete because of the NDA, but this should hopefully save someone some time.

MyProcessor.h/.cpp
class MyProcessor  : public AudioProcessor,
	                   public VSTCallbackHandler // <- need this for callback
{

std::function<VstHostCallbackType> hostCallback = nullptr;

// etc...
}

// need this just for the audioMasterCanDo definition used below...
namespace Vst2
{
#include <juce_audio_processors/format_types/VST3_SDK/pluginterfaces/vst2.x/aeffect.h>
#include <juce_audio_processors/format_types/VST3_SDK/pluginterfaces/vst2.x/aeffectx.h>
}

// host -> plugin
pointer_sized_int MyProcessor:: handleVstPluginCanDo (int32 opcode,
									                  pointer_sized_int lArg2,
									                  void* ptrArg,
									                  float opt)
{
	auto text = (const char*) ptrArg;
	if(strcmp(text, nks::vse::effect_can_nks_string()) == 0)
		return 1;

return 0;
}

void MyProcessor::handleVstHostCallbackAvailable(std::function&lt;VstHostCallbackType&gt;&amp;&amp; callback)
{
    hostCallback = callback;
}

int32 MyProcessor::canHostDo(char* text)
{
	if (hostCallback != nullptr)
		return (hostCallback(Vst2::audioMasterCanDo, 0, 0, text, 0) != 0);
	return 0;
}

pointer_sized_int MyProcessor::hostVendorSpecific(int32 lArg1, int32 lArg2, void* ptrArg, float floatArg)
{
	if (hostCallback != nullptr)
		return hostCallback(Vst2::audioMasterVendorSpecific, lArg1, lArg2, ptrArg, floatArg);
	return 0;
}