Phil file chooser Component released (now v0.52)

Not sure if this should go here or in the general forum, but since I figure it’s of most use to people running linux…

Following on from my announcement in this thread, I’ve released my file view Component, Phil. I’ve built a simple file browser around it, as well as a PhilChooser Component, which acts the same as JUCE’ FileChooser.

In retrospect, I should have put a little more thought into the design - as it is a couple of the classes are a bit too monolithic and interdependent. What I probably should have done is created a non-gui class to handle the main file manager operations, and a separate gui class (or classes) to display the data, but as it is it does at least fulfil my original aim of a simple file chooser for linux. I’ve documented all the classes with doxygen-style comments, and included the generated html files.

You can get the code, binaries for windows and osx, and the usual configure script etc. for linux at: http://www.niallmoody.com/phil.htm.

Some screenshots:

The browser.

The file chooser.

…And the browser in Twindy, with the --twindy command-line flag set (which tells phil to use twindy’s current colour scheme among other things).

• Niall.

Sorry, I just realised I’d broken Phil’s delete functionality just before I uploaded it :oops:. I’ve now rectified the problem with v0.51.

• Niall.

Very nice, matches juce applets now.

Out of curiosity, what is Twindy?

Twindy is a window manager I wrote for linux (in case you don’t know, a window manager takes care of window placement and sizing - it’s pretty much built into the OS on windows and (to a slightly lesser extent) OSX, so you can’t really play with it, but linux is perfect for those kinds of experiments). Twindy basically forces every window opened into one of two panes - a main tabbed pane above, and a single smaller pane below. The aim is for it to be similar to tracktion’s workflow.

Twindy’s page is here. It’s not finished yet, but the beta’s got almost all the functionality I intend the finished product to have. It’s just missing some nice configuration dialogs (this is what I needed Phil for - you currently have to edit an xml file) and workspaces.

• Niall.

May have to look at it. I run FreeBSD personally on all but one of my computers (this one), so it should work on it.

Let me know how it goes - I’ve only been able to test it on a couple of debian machines myself, so any reports about other systems/distros are much appreciated. Theoretically it should work anywhere JUCE works, but it’s always hard to know for sure.

• Niall.

Well FreeBSD uses the same GUI system as linux, so I doubt that is an issue.

Question, as standard, do you use Gnome, or KDE? I use KDE as I have some very nice system tools for my system with it.

For a window manager, my main one is enlightenment DR17, because of all the eyecandy on offer (animated backgrounds, the engage dock module…). The only problem is, since it’s still in development, they keep breaking support for the themes, so the theme I’m currently using won’t work with the most recent version, and I can’t upgrade. I sometimes use gnome(/metacity?), but not so much recently. I also like windowlab as a lightweight, stripped back manager.

For apps, I tend to use gnome-based ones, because I have a (somewhat irrational) dislike of kde. It’s not so bad since they’ve moved to using plastik as the default theme rather than keramik (those horrible shiny buttons… ugh :?), but their apps still seem kind of cluttered to me. I suppose that’s a design philosophy thing though - kde tend to offer you every possibly option, whereas gnome tend toward stripping things back to only offer you the important options. Really I just prefer gnome for purely aesthetic reasons…

• Niall.

Most of the time, I could care less for looks, as stated, I only use KDE for the apps, I really don’t know what I would use if they all ran the same thing…

Yeah, actually for me, I’m not sure there’s any apps I use that don’t have a kde equivalent (hmm… I suppose synaptic is exclusive to gnome/gtk though - that’s a pretty major one). There are a couple of kde apps I use because there isn’t a gtk equivalent: k3b, kile (for uni papers), and qjackctl (although that’s really qt rather than strictly kde). For the vast majority of the apps I use though, it does just come down to which one looks best, and will fit in with the rest of my desktop.

Of course, if I’m ever going to move to using twindy as my main wm, I’m either going to have to write a lot of apps myself :wink:, or create a JUCE-based gtk theme (I find for kde at least, the comix theme works fairly well with the right colour scheme) if I want everything to fit together nicely.

• Niall.

Just to let you know, I’ve finally got round to uploading a version that’ll build against JUCE v1.25. There’s a couple of bug fixes in there as well, and the browser now has a command line option that’ll let you set it’s colours from a .tracktionscheme file.

• Niall.