PluckedStrings demo and C++11

Hello Jules !

I have spent some time trying all the new example projects, and I have to say that I am very grateful of you and your new team for having shared all these toys with us ;)

I have just questions about the PluckedStrings demo. I am working mainly with Visual Studio 2008 on Windows XP / 7 nowadays, which is bad I know, so I had to make a few changes on this demo to be able to compile it. Indeed, it uses a lot of stuff from C++11 (auto keyword, initialisation of variables in the class declaration, std::vector uses), so I had to rewrite a few things in old C++ style. Which is in general easy to do with (a lot) more code lines, so I can see the interest of doing everything with this new syntax :)

I just would like to know what is your position here. Should we have more C++11 code in JUCE in the next months/years, or do you want to keep the source code compatible with most of the compilers if possible ?

Thanks in advance ;)

Why are you still using Vs2008?

Well my Windows computer isn't very recent, and once I tried VS2010 and it was slow like hell, so I decided to keep VS2008

Our general policy is that the main library obviously needs to maintain compatibilty with old compilers for at least the next couple of years. 

But old compilers are a minority now, and we're not going to be too strict about keeping modern code out of all the minor examples. Letting a few bits of modern C++ into a couple of the examples isn't a bad thing IMHO. And certainly now that we're introducing classes that can use lambdas, we'll actively want to start having a few examples that demonstrate these things.

Thanks for the clarification ;) It's time to try the free VS2013 Community edition I think !

My development environment is stuck at OSX 10.6.8, Xcode 3.2.6, and using JUCE 3.2.0 plus I am still learning C++. Success with JUCE has been good so far. The plucked string demo is producing errors which I am assuming is due to version changes in something (e.g. C++11? as noted by Wolfen above).  The are 60 errors starting in  stringsynthesiser.h at line 98

98 std::generate (excitationSample.begin(), 

excitationSample.end(),

[] { return (Random::getSystemRandom().nextFloat() * 2.0f) - 1.0f; } );

with the message Exepcted primary-expression before'[' token ...

Kindly point me in the direction of what I need to do to fix this sort of error.

Many thanks in advance  

That's C++11. Some of our demo code uses C++11 although the library itself doesn't require it.. yet.

I'd strongly encourage you to update your tools - there's a growing appetite in the C++ community to get tough with the few people who are still clinging to older compilers, and we'll drop support for C++03 entirely at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Fair enough! Thanks