Precompiled libjuce.a?

Does anyone happen to have a copy of precompiled libjuce.a for Linux ?

I’m using Ubuntu and the damn thing doesn’t come with anything, not even GCC. The build has been stopping with missing header file errors all night now, and I am tired of googling for and downloading all the library sources on this #)%T!# dialup connection… managed to get alsa-lib sources, freetype and a couple others if i remember correctly and now it’s stopped at X11 headers… :evil:

Windows version built on first try (mingw+devcpp). Trying to get anything working on linux (ubuntu esp.) is like hammering a square tube into a circular hole.

Would help greatly if someone could just toss a precompiled libjuce.a file so I can start coding already.

Wow! Ubuntu(dapper drake)'s definitely been the best distro I’ve used to date (been through mandrake, SuSE, demudi, debian previously), though it’s maybe not best suited for dial-up connections since there’s a fair chunk of extra stuff to download if you’re a developer (mind you, that tends to be true of most distros these days). I take it you are getting your headers etc. via synaptic (i.e. Applications->Add/Remove…->Advanced) from the official ubuntu repository and not just downloading source tarballs, right? The X11 headers are in the xserver-xorg-dev package, if I remember correctly.

If you PM me your e-mail address I can send you a copy of libjuce.a, though I do tend to compile it without opengl and xinerama on linux.

• Niall.

can someone explain to me what is so great about ubuntu? Everyone raves about it, but how actually does it exceed Mandriva, RedHat, or SuSE/NDL?

Well for me it’s just better put together. When I switched, dapper had newer packages than my previous distro (debian testing - in particular I needed dapper’s newer kernel to get my tv card working), but it also has a very nice (imo) default look and feel now, and all the default apps are nicely integrated into the distro (i.e. synaptic’s got a newbie-friendly front end, the alacarte gnome menu editor is installed by default…). Also, it was definitely easier getting my wireless card working, although that may have been partly down to my previous experience struggling with it on debian.

To be honest, Ubuntu’s just a nicer version of debian, which is why I like it. From what I’ve seen, the latest SuSE’s looking pretty good, but when I used SuSE myself I had terrible problems trying to install stuff that wasn’t in their pretty meagre repositories. The fact that ubuntu has sizeable repositories and access to debian’s own as a last resort makes a big difference to me. I’ve never used red hat/fedora, so I can’t comment on that one.

• Niall.

Hey thanks for the help, I’ll PM you now.
I don’t need OpenGL or xinerama, so it’s ok.

I’m using Breezy, btw, and using apt-get to install the packages… just so I don’t have to keep switching between synaptic and the terminal.

I’m going to evaluate both SuSE 10.1 and Ubuntu 6 Dapper once I return to university (summer vacation right now). I have a 5 Mbps drop there :smiley:

I’ve messed with Ubuntu, quite nice. Also messed with Suse, ten (enterprise) is very nice. Red Hat, Fedora, etc… I just didn’t really like. My main OS though is FreeBSD. It’s ports collection and enforcement of procedures just makes it feel the most professional, stable, etc…

What’s the difference between the server and desktop editions? How much stuff does the desktop edition leave out? I’m guessing the LAMP[1] stack is gone, but sshd would still be there? Does the server edition lose stuff from the desktop version, or is it just the desktop with extra gubbins?

I figure since I’m about to set up a small linux box to develop a PACS server on, I might as well give Ubuntu a try.

[1] edit - the ‘AMP’ part of that particularly. :hihi:

If you are talking about Suse in regards to desktop/server, Both editions are made to be both, its just that Enterprise has some of the nicest domain and user managing tools I’ve ever seen. It also has quite a bit of customized things like a customized (actually good) ‘start’ menu, etc… The Enterprise just has a lot of custom apps built by them and other things.

Sorry, I was talking about Ubuntu. I’m using NDL at the moment, which is kind of SuSE lite, and it works great. We use Mandriva at work, and I’m less happy with that.

I think Ubuntu Server has a different kernel, and is terminal-based by default, but they’ve both got access to the same repositories, so you could easily set up a server on a Desktop install or vice-versa.

• Niall.