Programming Environment... Download... Flash demo

Hey guys…

There used to be a programming environment named Appware (later renamed Microbrew and also once owned by Novel). It was one of the most amazing programs I have ever used. Within a few weeks of first trying it, I was able to use it to create a Mac client for a PC only stock data streaming service, which the company liked enough to buy from me…

Sadly, Appware’s makers went out of biz (no idea if it has anything to do with the fact the chief creator began a movement based on his belief aliens were among us - no joking here). Now, it’s around 7 years later and I have still seen nothing that come close to replacing its simplicity of use.

I’ve created a short flash movie which shows the creation of a “Hello World” program start to finish so you can see it in action.

HelloDemo.html

I had trouble loading the page in firefox so here is the direct flash link if you need it…

http://www.rockkennedy.com/flash/HelloDemo.swf

It’s about 5 mins or so long and around 3.7 Meg. Just because it’s a Hello World demo, don’t let that fool you regarding Appware’s power and flexibilty.

I post this for 4 reasons…

• Someone might know of something else like it currently being developed
  • Someone might see it and create a modern equivelent.
  • Someone might take an interest and learn how to encorporate JUCE code into Appware. Appware loads and runs dll files as well as allows you to create your own modules from your existing code.
  • Someone might just find it interesting or useful

If you see this flash and you want to download a copy of the whole enviroment let me know and I’ll try to arrange it so you can play with it yourself.

Some side notes:

• Runs under mac os 9
  • Runs under windows but has limitations due to its age (short file names, no internet component - workaround exist in Mac)
  • Contains an application to aid in developing components
  • It may not be legal for me to give it to you, it was commercial, but again the parent company has been out of buisness for years. Hard to imagine anyone would care.

Looks interesting, although it reminds of me doing something like programming by draggin objects around, never could get into that style, has no power and takes too long to create something, might be why another has not yet been created. Is that guess of its functionality correct or am I offbase on how it works?

well you are right that you drag around objects on the screen, but I don’t agree that it had no power and it sure wasn’t slow… in fact the speed of developement was its principle strength.

Oh by the way, the compiled programs ran quite quicky as well.

One negative was that very large projects could get visually messy if one wasn’t careful to keep things arranged logically. It was best to be careful as you worked, forcing yourself to make onscreen notes describing what your functions, chains and sections did.

Not slow as in making, I mean slow like if I want to create a single line of even minor complicated math, I could type it out in a couple seconds, whereas in that would take quite a bit longer, as a minor example. I actually saw one thing where such design would be useful, a system that used a few thousand threads to operate, no shared memory, everything communicated by messages, looked interesting.

Well I’d never heard of Appware, so that was interesting to see.

I’ve actually started work on something called “The Jucer” that will be a component builder for Juce, but can’t see the point in all the other stuff in Appware that lets you do equations, etc. graphically.

[quote=“jules”]Well I’d never heard of Appware, so that was interesting to see.

I’ve actually started work on something called “The Jucer” that will be a component builder for Juce, but can’t see the point in all the other stuff in Appware that lets you do equations, etc. graphically.[/quote]

you mean a RAD thing for Juce ?

I’ve actually started work on something called “The Jucer” that will be a component builder for Juce

Jules, is this going to be a RAD type component builder, or is it going to be more along the lines of the old MS App Studio (build resource files and program header files)?

I ask this because I’ve been thinking about building my own cross platform RAD for JUCE, possibly basing it on Code:Blocks, just so I can build applications faster. With this current project I’m working on, I could have saved a lot of time building the GUI if I had something like this.

• kbj

It’s just a component designer, not really a RAD tool. It’ll let you lay out components, and will save them as c++ files (with cunningly embedded metadata). Of course it’ll be open-source so people can add their own components and custom editors. As well as dealing with when the sub-components go, I also want it to be able to create the paint() method, so have some drawing controls for doing simple shapes and things.

I’m working on it at the moment… a slightly bigger project that I thought it would be! It’ll make a very good demo for a lot of Juce features, too.

that is a really great news and will help us to save a lot of time. But i’d like to know about one point. Most of the component designers I tried had one major flaw, once you want to modify the interface, it just rewrites the whole c++ class and you lose your code.

What i’d be excited to see is an object editor like delphi. I’ve never seen something better yet. You simply draw your component, once it’s done, just select it and you have the properties editor, that allow you set it up. But what’s really good is the events editor. There is the complete list of events for this component, and double-clicking on one create the functions with the predefined parameters for this function. You just have to write the content of the event. That is a big time saver. Not sure this is possible with Juce :slight_smile:

Anyway keep up the good work :slight_smile: I’m going to buy a commercial version of Juce later as it really kick ass !

Not planning on doing too much automation of event handling at first, but maybe in the future I’ll add that sort of thing. Not convinced about how much of a time-saver it’d be though.

What I have planned for is a way of maintaining the user code that’s added to the resulting file - there’ll be sections that you can edit that are kept when the file gets re-saved.

that sounds neat jules :slight_smile:

i did start building a little app that created starting-point files for you for components you wanted to make; what it did was give you a list of juce components to subclass (defaulting to Component, naturally), and had a bunch of tickboxes for other things it should be (ActionListener, ChangeBroadcaster etc) and it would write the .cpp and .h files for you. That’s what i did the windows platform-specific ‘copy file(s) to clipboard’ thing for- so a button would copy the new files and you could just paste it into your project in the IDE. never got round to finishing it, but it had a pretty GUI :smiley: i didn’t dare put in any sub-component/RAD style layout tools tho. i’m eagerly awaiting le jucer :slight_smile:

Something that would be nice, and useful for an app like that, would be a registry system in Juce. New components could be added to the registry and using the registry you can construct components. Could just add your component using the registry, perhaps add in possible editable values to the registry for each class as well. Would not be a small undertaking, but would be useful nonetheless.

did he say “registry”?

:shock:

Not referring to the Windows registry or anything similer. :stuck_out_tongue:

The registry in the classic sense is nothing but a factory that when a program starts up every (or selected) classes register themselves with it, and you can choose to build classes based on a string name, get info about them, etc…

thank fuck for that.