"punch" effect or bell curve filter

Hello,

I’m new to juce (I’ve done a few of the tutorials so far) and am looking to create a “punch” effect, (50 hz to 180 hz range), which I understand is done by creating a bell-curve filter. Does anyone know if this can be done with juce? I assume the DSP module has the answer.

I looked for examples, but was unable to find them.

Thanks for any reply!
…John

the closest i can find is this because it has a bandpass, but yes, that’s not a bell. i probably just don’t see it though. let’s wait for the juce pros to reply. https://docs.juce.com/master/classdsp_1_1StateVariableFilter_1_1Filter.html#details

however for a “punch”-effect i’d also look into the topic of envelope generators modulating the gain of the signal

1 Like

So what exactly should this “punch-effect” be used for?

If you really only want to make low frequencies louder, then a basic IIR filter could probably already help you. No need for a state variable filter here. However, depending on your use-case this could not lead to the desired result, as increasing low end volume needs the rest of the chain, from the digital signal you produce to the amplifier and speakers you want to play them back with to have enough headroom to process that increased amplitude, which probably might not be the case if you are e.g. (as a worst case scenario) planing to process some already mastered music and play them back via phone or laptop speakers. For that cases you really need some more complex processing algorithms, which are not available as ready to use building blocks in juce.

So maybe tell us more about your use case so that we can recommend you better solutions.

1 Like

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply. I got caught in a wave of work. I’m doing this for someone else, so I had him read the messages here. Here’s what he said:

“Ok, so the “punch” effect would be used on kick drums to add “punch”, or a boost in the primary frequency for which the kick drum occupies. This would be applied to what is known as “round” kicks, that might have more of a flat signal across the spectrum from low to high.”

“As for the use, it would be for manipulation & additional processing of a kick sample in the production stage.”

“This would be applied to an individual sample, not a full mix of any sort. So we are talking about single instrument/sound processing”

The envelope generator looks like an interesting idea.

I appreciate your responses.

Thanks, John

yes, that makes sense. i’d also say that the “punch” of a kick is around 120hz. 50hz is quite subby for a punch. I’m by far no expert about filter design but i know that biquad filters are quite good unless you want to modulate their parameters quickly

1 Like