RectangleList:: getIntersectionWith compiler error

Since Array returns const& in foreach loops the later one is broken.
Removing the & fixed it for me.

bool getIntersectionWith (RectangleType rect, RectangleList& destRegion) const
{
    jassert (rect.isFinite()); // You must provide a valid rectangle to this method!

destRegion.clear();

if (! rect.isEmpty())
        for (auto**&** r : rects)
            if (rect.intersectRectangle (r))
                destRegion.rects.add (r);

return ! destRegion.isEmpty();
}

In what situation was it broken?

I’ve updated to JUCE 5.4.4 recently.

In my project I have something like this boiled down code:

RectangleList< int > rectListSource, rectListTarget;
rectListSource.getIntersectionWith (Rectangle< int > {100, 100}, rectListTarget);

and it leads to compile errors as follows.
You could reproduce this if you paste the code into the demo runner project as well.

In file included from ***Main.cpp:27:
In file included from …/…/JuceLibraryCode/…/JuceLibraryCode/JuceHeader.h:17:
In file included from …/…/…/…/modules/juce_analytics/juce_analytics.h:55:
In file included from …/…/…/…/modules/juce_gui_basics/juce_gui_basics.h:57:
In file included from …/…/…/…/modules/juce_graphics/juce_graphics.h:120:
…/…/…/…/modules/juce_graphics/geometry/juce_RectangleList.h:390:26: error: no matching member function for call to ‘intersectRectangle’
if (rect.intersectRectangle ®)
~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
***Main.cpp:149:28: note: in instantiation of member function ‘juce::RectangleList::getIntersectionWith’ requested here
rectListSource.getIntersectionWith(Rectangle {100, 100}, rectListTarget);
^
In file included from ***Main.cpp:27:
In file included from …/…/JuceLibraryCode/…/JuceLibraryCode/JuceHeader.h:17:
In file included from …/…/…/…/modules/juce_analytics/juce_analytics.h:55:
In file included from …/…/…/…/modules/juce_gui_basics/juce_gui_basics.h:57:
In file included from …/…/…/…/modules/juce_graphics/juce_graphics.h:116:
…/…/…/…/modules/juce_graphics/geometry/juce_Rectangle.h:681:10: note: candidate function not viable: 1st argument (‘const juce::Rectangle’) would lose const qualifier
bool intersectRectangle (Rectangle& rectangleToClip) const noexcept
^
…/…/…/…/modules/juce_graphics/geometry/juce_Rectangle.h:658:10: note: candidate function not viable: requires 4 arguments, but 1 was provided
bool intersectRectangle (ValueType& otherX, ValueType& otherY, ValueType& otherW, ValueType& otherH) const noexcept

Thank you for reporting. Will get a fixed pushed.

Wouldn’t it be better to make const the Rectangle& parameter received by intersectRectangle, rather than transforming it into a pass by copy?

I understand the logic of passing Points by copy because they only have 2 values, but Rectangles have 4 and I was under the impression that the JUCE API preferred by-reference for those.

This will not work because Rectangle< ValueType >::intersectRectangle ( Rectangle< ValueType > &rectangleToClip) expects a non-const reference that gets modified internally.

You can pass surprisingly large POD types before passing a reference is quicker. When there’s a reference it’s possible that the code inside the function could offset off the memory address and poke around in other bits of the codebase. If everything is a copy then the optimiser can be much more aggressive. But in either case this fix was an embarrassing error due to our CI being offline all day and there’s a fix for the fix on the way.

1 Like

I’d love to have an easy tool to benchmark similar behaviours regularly, e.g. on different CPUs and/or when a new version of the build tools comes out.

I’m not doubting what you say, I mean it in the sense: “I’d like to make informed design decisions as technology advances” rather than relying on “rumors”

http://quick-bench.com/

It’s useful for inspecting these kinds of things, with the significant danger that microbenchmarks don’t always translate well when used in chunks of more complicated code.

1 Like