Shared_ptr for MainComponent?

gui

I have an issue trying to pass my MainComponent around as a shared_ptr.
MainComponent inherits from std::enable_shared_from_this
MainWindow creates the MainComponent in a shared_ptr so that it is managed by at least one shared_ptr (as is required by enable_shared_from_this)
But calling shared_from_this() still generates a bad_weak_ptr error.

Is there something in the setContent… method that would copy the underlying object or break this approach in any other way?

class MainWindow    : public DocumentWindow
    {
    public:
        MainWindow (String name)  : DocumentWindow (name,
                                                    Desktop::getInstance().getDefaultLookAndFeel()
                                                    .findColour (ResizableWindow::backgroundColourId),
                                                    DocumentWindow::allButtons)
        {
            //setContentOwned (new MainComponent(), true);
            mnCmp =  std::make_shared<MainComponent>();
            setContentNonOwned(mnCmp.get(), true);

setVisible (true);
        }
    public:
        std::shared_ptr<MainComponent> mnCmp;

private:
        JUCE_DECLARE_NON_COPYABLE_WITH_LEAK_DETECTOR (MainWindow)
    };
0 Likes

You should first explain WHY you’re trying to share it before figuring out HOW to do it. The majority of the time, you should never share ownership of objects.

0 Likes

It defeats the purpose, since the setContentNonOwned will obviously save a raw pointer to your component, making it by no means safer to use a shared_ptr.

While shared_ptr is a nice approach, it has it’s use cases, where you cannot determine a definite ownership. Here the question of ownership is very clear, so it is not advisable to use shared_ptr.

I don’t know, if there is a safeguard in place to disallow a raw pointer to be kept. But it is bad practice anyway.

0 Likes

setContentNonOwned claims that it won’t delete the object pointed-to.
It also claims that it doesn’t mind if the object becomes deleted at some point in the future.
So it seemed reasonable to use shared_ptr as it adds some safety to the rest of the application when accessing the MainComponent object via weak_ptrs.

0 Likes

That is correct, the content is set to a safe pointer, so it is not dangerous, but having a dedicated ownership is preferred over a floating ownership between shared_ptrs.

Just consider, what sense the ResizeableWindow makes, when the main content component goes out of scope…

If your reason for shared_ptr is to have a easy and safe way to spread uncontrolled references, just remember, if two structures reference each other, the object goes never out of scope… I don’t think it is a wise choice, but that is now only my opinion.

0 Likes

The component class already has a built-in mechanism for that - you can use Component::SafePointers which are basically weak references

0 Likes