Should the default optimization be for greater speed?

Sorry for all the posts, a lot of tiny things have accumulated in the last few months, none of great import.

I was meaning to ask - the default optimization in the Introjucer is “smaller size”. Most of the time, I’m interested in “faster”…

[quote=“TomSwirly”]Sorry for all the posts, a lot of tiny things have accumulated in the last few months, none of great import.

I was meaning to ask - the default optimization in the Introjucer is “smaller size”. Most of the time, I’m interested in “faster”…[/quote]

There’s a lot of information that, for a ‘normal’ app, smaller size is faster. That’s what Apple was saying a while ago, at least. The idea being loading the code pages in an out was more time than the actual processing.

Bruce

Hah! Very interesting!

Perhaps there could be a little more information in the rollover for the “Optimisation” field in the Introjucer that mentioned this?

TBH I’m not sure the default matters too much - I’d expect that anyone who gets as far as compiling a release build would have at least cast their eye over the settings page to make sure that it’s all the way they want it!

Well, I did that of course, and switched it to “optimize for speed” - but it seems that I’m learning that this will make a binary that is both bigger and slower…!

Optimize for speed will often employ tricks such as unrolling loops, which in theory is good but obviously increases the chance of cache misses.

I would call that “optimising” for “speed”, if it in fact comes out slower. :smiley: